Cooktop Options, 30" Or 36" - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cooktop options, 30" or 36"

I'm remodeling my Mom's kitchen, and my proposed layout for the base cabinets are as followed (from left to right): a 33" wall oven cab, a 9" base, a 30" three drawer base, a 9" base, a 3" filler, fridge, another 3" filler. I have 48" total width for a cooktop, from wall oven to filler by fridge. I want to install a 36" cooktop with more element choices over the 30" three drawer and the two 9" base cabs. Can I get this to work? The cabs are from Cabinets To Go, their St. James Mahogany line. I have 3D renderings availible if needed.

Thank you for your time and attention regarding this matter.
Attached Thumbnails
cooktop options, 30" or 36"-kamalmomocd.jpg   cooktop options, 30" or 36"-kamalmomfridgefront.jpg  

Advertisement

smithk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 298

I'm not a pro but I see some potential problems with your layout from a prep standpoint. If your mom cooks that much, where is your food prep area? Also, if I am calculating it correctly, you have 12" on the right and 9" on the left. Where do you put the boiling over pot if all burners are in use? It is not really that safe in my humble opinion. I think you really want some space to the left or right of the cooktop to place a hot pan/pot just in case.

If I were you and really wanted that cooktop, remove the oven and replace with a drop in cooktop oven. That way you get more prep space to the left. If you need the drawers, move them to the left also and lose the door cabinet.

Does that make sense?

Just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
cooktop options, 30" or 36"-kamalmomfridgefront.jpg  

Advertisement

shadytrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 298

Or, after looking at it again, shift the microwave and the cooktop/oven to the left and that way you get a prep area from the fridge. You need space if you need to pull something out of the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
cooktop options, 30" or 36"-kamalmomfridgefront.jpg  

Last edited by shadytrake; 07-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.
shadytrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

I vote for shadytrake's second version. Whoever does the grocery shopping (or putting away) will appreciate counter space right next to the fridge.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

I'm not a pro but I have some experience in kitchen remodeling (my own house) I think you are going to have couple of problems.
You need to have a place for preparing the food.
The cooking space is not safe.

But, hey-that's just me...
kitchenremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

The reason I'm going with a wall oven is b/c I have an older Mom with hip problems, and a younger brother who's had total hip replacement back at home with her as well, so bending over for both of them is an issue. There's a whole other side of the kitchen with nothing but counter space, save the sink. With the current layout, if I go with a 30" cooktop, I have 9" of space on either side. The 36" top leaves me with 6" on the sides. I'm possibly thinking about extending the wall 6 1/2" to be able to go with the 12" base cabinets next to the cooktop to be able to go with the 36" and still keep the 9" side space (I already have to extend it about an inch, anyways). My main issue wondering if I kept the 9" base, 30" drawers, and other 9" base, could I fit a 36" cooktop over them?

Advertisement

smithk80 is offline   Reply With Quote