Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Developer by Day

Send a message via AIM to KevinACrider
Share |

Confused on Steps to Install New Tub

I'm at the state in my bathroom renovation where the tub is ready to go in for good. I have my 2x4 bracing up and leveled, new drains and water lines are in and tested for leaks. My tub is a 1 piece acrylic tub with an apron support. Do I set the tub in mortar or cement?

Here is what I think I am supposed to do/going to do:
Lay down a plastic barrier on the subfloor. Lay my cement or mortar on top of that in a 2" - 3" layer. Cover the bed with another plastic barrier. Set my tub into the mortar/cement, connect the drain, fill the tub with water and let it sit for 2 or 3 days. After this I can drain the tub and then install non-faced insulation into my exterior walls. It's my understanding that if I use RedGuard on the cementer board (after taping the seams!) that I can forgo the vapor barrier and that I need to use the non-faced insulation. For this reason, I am under the impression I can install the insulation after the tub is already in. Additionally, I plan to stuff more insulation in the cavities around the tub after it is installed and the bed has dried.

Is this the right process or is there anything I should do differently? I plan to purchase materials tonight and do this tomorrow.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance!

KevinACrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Kevin, I found this site when I was doing research for my shower project so first let me say I'm no expert.
Can't help you at all with getting the tub in place, except for like, follow the manufacturer's instructions.

My question is: How are you going to finish the walls, and is there a shower involved?
If there is a shower, and you're thinking tile, Bud's blog is a good read.
http://www.diychatroom.com/blogs/con...wer-walls-152/

There is also a search function on this forum. You might check it out for other threads on this subject. I know by reading old threads I found a lot of answers to questions I didn't know I had.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Developer by Day

Thanks for the reply. I've done a ton of reading here over the last 3 years and have found so much information that I never knew I needed. However, everyone's project seems different so I just wanted to get feedback on my exact plans.

Regarding the walls, I will be tiling the walls around the tub, and yes, a shower will be installed.

My tub's instructions just say to set the tub on a piece of felt and it's fine. The tub has several small feet and feels extremely solid when sitting flat, but in order to keep the tub level, when I installed my 2x4 brace, all the feet no longer rest on the subfloor, hence why I would like to set the tub into cement or mortar.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinACrider View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've done a ton of reading here over the last 3 years and have found so much information that I never knew I needed. However, everyone's project seems different so I just wanted to get feedback on my exact plans.

Regarding the walls, I will be tiling the walls around the tub, and yes, a shower will be installed.

My tub's instructions just say to set the tub on a piece of felt and it's fine. The tub has several small feet and feels extremely solid when sitting flat, but in order to keep the tub level, when I installed my 2x4 brace, all the feet no longer rest on the subfloor, hence why I would like to set the tub into cement or mortar.
You can shim the raised feet. Old school base was plaster of paris.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

we always set tubs in mortor base because most always need leveled mortor base anchors tight.....just make sure its level...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Developer by Day

I appreciate the replies. I've picked up 2x 60lb bags of mortar and will set the tub in it tomorrow night, hopefully. The tub is 100% level and plumb in all directions and is ready for the mortar base.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Tileguy

Whatever you do...don't climb inside the tub after you have set it in the soft mortar. Set it, squish it a little maybe, load-in the water and leave it be .
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Developer by Day

Thanks, Bud! I was half looking for a pro's approval that filling with water is correct.

When drywalling and insulating, do I only use the unfaced insulation behind the cement board and regular insulation behind the remaining drywall in the room? There is only 2 exterior walls and the ceiling that need insulation and the tub sits in the corner of those 2 walls.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
DIY staff

I've never filled them with water while the mud was wet---That could cause a hollow --I just set and press----Mike----
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

What type of morter do you use here? Some say thinset others say thick.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Tileguy

Sandmix or brick-mortar.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote