Concrete/cement Bath - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete/cement bath

Hi All,
i want to build my own bath in my bathroom, im thinking of building it out of cement or concrete. I want to know if any1 has some tips? or any ideas? is there a better way of doing it? any help would be appreciated seeeing as i have never even tried to attempt something like this before!!
will it be strong?
and what do i seal it with to make it 100% water proof?
ANY help would be very much appreciated
thank you al
l

Advertisement

Last edited by kimbo; 02-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete/cement bath

Build out of ferrous cement. Been used throughout history to make boats. There are many waterproofing cement finishing products available. Cisterns are built from cement, my pond is cement. Polishing the cement with wet grinder wheels will seal the surface making it waterproof as well as making it shine and be smooth. So this step would be done prior to finish coatings. You could also finish with the same products used to refinish porcelain tubs. Why do you want to do this? A specific look or size?

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete/cement bath

it is going to be for size and shape, most of my house i want to be "hand made" im incorporating bottles into the design of the house and was thinking of doing it as a border around the top of the bath, scared they might busrt though due to temp fluctuaions.
I want to make my basin and surrounding cabnit out of concrete too and maybe a bench int he corner
do yu think that this will all be possible?
thank you for your help, much appreciated
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete/cement bath

Definitely possible. I've done it. I also did a counter for an outdoor kitchen with wine bottles. Use 400 bottles with their bottoms flush with the outside edge. Then wired all with fiber optic cables. Seen a similar product in one of the magazines lately. But what makes this possible is your tools and skill sets. First you need to make a template with melamine.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote