Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Clean or remove grout from sink?

I need to clean the grout around my sink. Its starting to decay, so should I just cut out the grout and replace it? If I replace it, it will more likely not match that well to the existing grout surrounding it.

I can clean it with Bleach or Peroxide and it might turn back to white. I can then use a sealer which might help.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Clean or remove grout from sink?-sink1.jpg   Clean or remove grout from sink?-sink2.jpg   Clean or remove grout from sink?-sink3.jpg   Clean or remove grout from sink?-sink4.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

#1 there never should have been grout at the sink to tile joint. It should have been caulking instead.
You can buy caulking to match just about any caulking instead.
Caulking is used any time tile makes a change of direction or meets a differant surface.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 there never should have been grout at the sink to tile joint. It should have been caulking instead.
You can buy caulking to match just about any caulking instead.
Caulking is used any time tile makes a change of direction or meets a differant surface.
I thought it was kind of strange having grout at the sink. Maybe they were suppose to put caulk after the grout was completed, but forgot.

Do I have to remove the grout first, and than caulk the sink? Or can I clean the grout with bleach, let it dry, and than put caulk around the sink. I believe I could use the same caulk I use for the bathtub.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

That grout is badly fractured so I would bite the bullet and carve it out or it will cause you problems. You should not regrout or caulk over it.

I disagree that it necessarily should have been caulked and not grouted. Looks like that install goes back aways and before their may have been the caulking materials we have now. It was porcelain to porcelain and looks like it has held up remarkably well.

I would caulk it now though but make sure you let it the crevice dry out first. I don't like pure silicone caulks but others will suggest them. I will leave that to you. You certainly want one with some silicone in it and formulated for kitchens and bath with some milidicides in it.

Last edited by user1007; 05-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
That grout is badly fractured so I would bite the bullet and carve it out or it will cause you problems. You should not regrout or caulk over it.

I disagree that it necessarily should have been caulked and not grouted. Looks like that install goes back aways and before their may have been the caulking materials we have now. It was porcelain to porcelain and looks like it has held up remarkably well.

I would caulk it now though but make sure you let it the crevice dry out first. I don't like pure silicone caulks but others will suggest them. I will leave that to you. You certainly want one with some silicone in it and formulated for kitchens and bath with some milidicides in it.
If I cleaned the grout with bleach and let it dry, and than used caulk wouldn't that solve the problem? I am not sure why I would need to remove the grout first.

Tags
sink grout