Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cheapest shower walls possible?

My husband and I are looking at houses and we've found one we love but it needs some renovations...the bad kind...kitchen and bath. We can afford to do one right away and the kitchen wins. The bathroom isn't actually all that bad. Floor is vinyl, but brand new. Sink and cabinet also new. The tub is an old porcelain one but it's clean and no chips/cracks/etc. But it is ugly as you know what. Also, it's just a tub. No, not a beautiful clawfoot tub. Just a regular tub built into the floor and wall. There are plaster walls on the side and the front (where the faucets and shower head are). On those walls is the most hideous thing you can imagine: 40 year old floral linoleum...yep, REAL linoleum, not the vinyl we have today.

My husband and I plan to gut it within a year or two, so it seems stupid to spend more than like $500-$800 bucks on the thing. Any ideas for what I can replace that horrid linoleum with? How much would that cost? The tub has to stay, so we're just talking shower walls. Also, we'd like to be able to install ourselves and we can't do tile (I've done a mesh backed mosaic tile backsplash, but that's it), plus tile is too expensive anyway.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

hoosbekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

you can get what is called tub surround...they glue up to the walls and are very easy to work with....h.d lowes all carry them...100.00-250.00 range ..would help you till you remodel bath....ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 16

Yep---Three sheets of thin white plastic and plastic corner and edge beads---cheap and plain---

Tags
bath, shower, tile, vinyl, walls