Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Change Bathroom Tile Grout

I had my 1/2 bathroom remodeled last summer. I ended up going with white floor tiles with white grout. The white grout is terrible and collects debris and stains easily.

I'm considering my options to change the color of the grout. I've seen at HD where I can buy some grout stain. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Does it work well?

DRILLINDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

It would last a whole lot longer if you just removed all of the old grout.
I use an ossilating saw with a carbide blade. It goes really fast.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

I didn't know I could do this. Could you recommend an oscillationg saw to use? Is this job something a noob could handle?
DRILLINDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

I used a coloring product sold by thisoldgrout.com Worked great and saved me the labor of ripping out a grout job that had a color problem. The product changes the color and seals it at the same time.
oh'mike (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
DIY staff

Joe is not on now,so I'll tell you about how I remove grout---it is tedious work ,but simple enough.

Go to harbor Freight and buy the good Multi-tool--about $40

Get a couple of half moon diamond or carbide blades--about $20 each

You will also need a utility knife and a pack of blades.

Use the diamond blade to remove the bulk of the grout---the utility knife will scrape and crack out the remaining----vacuum and wash as you go----

An ordinary wood blade works well for the corners---use a pair of tin snips to add new teeth when the original ones wear off.

Consider using epoxy grout ----it's stain proof----

I use some more aggressive tools for grout removal---but wrecking the tile can result with the machines I use----
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have never used my oscillating tool for grout but simply because I had no call to do so. There are also little mini router type grout removers and such ilk that work to a point but can tear up the tile if you are not careful. I would give the multi-tool a try. Mine was about ten times what the Harbor Freight one is but for your purposes it should be fine from what others have said. The only complaint any have really had of the cheaper units has to do with the lock screw for the blade so just watch for it loosening I guess. In addition to Harbor Freight, Craftsman and Rockwell (and I suspect others) make models in that price range too. All are probably made by the same 7 year old Chinese children.

Some have had reasonable luck with those grout dye kits too. I never used one. I would be concerned their performance would be dependent on what sealer is on your existing grout.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

A half bath is probably a pretty small area. You could always try one of the grout stains that re-colors it and seals it, and see if it lasts. It would probably be under $50 and a few hours of work. If it doesn't last, you could then look into replacing the grout itself.

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amateuralex For This Useful Post:
princelake (05-25-2013)