Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Cement Board Won't line up in shower

I installed cement board onto the studs in constructing my new shower stall, but some of the boards don't line up with the others. In my effort to fix it, I taped the joints and used thin set to slope the gap. But I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do. Please help.

elester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

How large of a gap are we talking about? Something like this is caused by rushing the job and not taking the time to make sure it fits before securing.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
fabrk8r

This is probably a dumb question for the OP, but, do your cement board joints meet on the stud?

I don't see how there could be much variation in joint height if both pieces are screwed to the same stud.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

This is often caused by some studs bowing out a bit - or others being more narrow than a regular stud. But it could also be caused by some screws just not bringing the cement board in enough - leaving a gap (fixing this requires re-entering the screw or a new screw and checking for flushness)

Your idea of filling the uneven portion was the right thing to do as long as your joints are on the stud - but you need to feather it out more. . .work the mortar so it makes that transition VERY spread out - maybe transitioning over the space of 12".

Tags
bath remodel, bath remodelling, cement backer board, cement board, shower remodel