Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CBU Joint Issue?

I've finally finished my bathroom renovation and waiting for the shower enclosure to be installed. During the project, I took extra care to ensure that all joints were mesh taped with thinset and sealed with KBRS Shower Seal. This stuff is a rubberized membrane similar to redgard. After the joints were taped and sealed, I applied a coat of shower seal, embedded a 5" fabric strip along the joint, and topped it with 3 more coats of shower seal before tiling.

My question is this: Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I forgot to tape and thinset the right corner where the shower pan meets the tub as you can see in the picture. The wall comes up 18" and then over 3" that will be inside the shower. The joint is probably 1/16"- pretty much butted the joint since it was a small piece. As it sits, the 18" vertical joint is filled with a small strip of silicone, has a coat of shower seal in it, fabric strip, 3 more coats of shower seal, thinset, tile, and sanded caulk. The 3" horizontal joint has all of the above except the silicone. Could this possibly leak even though I forgot to tape the joint?

I completely brain farted when doing this section. Is it worth tearing it apart to tape the joint and redo? I'm afraid if i do so I'll do more damage than good.

I've attached a picture to help describe the area
Attached Thumbnails
CBU Joint Issue?-finalphoto.jpg  

cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

CBU Joint Issue?

Sounds like you have covered the bases pretty well. Will it leak? Maybe. I would redo it if it were for a customer. However, since it's yours, you have to make the call. (not so sure I would redo it, if it were mine). Looks pretty nice BTW.