Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
I HATE caulking!

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Caulking Techniques

Anyone have any experience with using a tape line when caulking a tub? I didn't have a lot of luck . . . going to have to redo the whole job. If so,

1. Did you work the caulk to have as little on the tape as possible or just make it neat and let it go?

2. How long did you leave the tape down?

:90 was too long, I can tell ya that. It was the best job I had ever done till I peeled the tape off and the excess silicone stayed behind and flopped over onto the work.

TIA

Ron

Did I mention I really hate caulking.?

Shiseiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Caulking Techniques

This is the method that most granite counter top installers use to achieve the fine silicone caulk line needed for a clean install.

You will need a good caulking gun, a spray bottle of Greased Lightning or other soapy cleaning spray--a roll of paper towels and a finger,

Remember this about silicone caulk----
It will stick to any clean dry surface.
It will not stick to a wet soapy surface.

Start at the lowest place on the job so that your spray will not wet an area that still needs caulk.

Apply a thin bead of caulk,being careful not to leave air gaps under the caulk.

Quickly spray the new caulked area with Greased Lightning---spray your finger,too.

Tool the joint with your finger. Remove the excess to your paper towels.

That's it----any excess will not stick to the wet soapy surface--the caulk line will be only as wide as the original application.

Amateuralex (05-28-2013), DidIDoThat (06-03-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
I HATE caulking!

Caulking Techniques

Sounds good oh'Mike! Laying down the tape was bit of a PITA. Bypassing the tape yet still holding to just over the width of the nozzle cut is exactly what I want.

Good gun - check.
10 year anti-microbial silicone - check.

I've had too much experience with too much silicone to clean up, this last time was the neatest bead I've ever laid just to have it all for naught.

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Caulking Techniques

An old tile guy showed me that method about 20 years ago----I complained about the difficulty of using silicone.

He said," Once you learn this,silicone will be your favorite calk."

Let me know how it works for you.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Caulking Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
This is the method that most granite counter top installers use to achieve the fine silicone caulk line needed for a clean install.

You will need a good caulking gun, a spray bottle of Greased Lightning or other soapy cleaning spray--a roll of paper towels and a finger,

Remember this about silicone caulk----
It will stick to any clean dry surface.
It will not stick to a wet soapy surface.

Start at the lowest place on the job so that your spray will not wet an area that still needs caulk.

Apply a thin bead of caulk,being careful not to leave air gaps under the caulk.

Quickly spray the new caulked area with Greased Lightning---spray your finger,too.

Tool the joint with your finger. Remove the excess to your paper towels.

That's it----any excess will not stick to the wet soapy surface--the caulk line will be only as wide as the original application.
2 things to note as to how a solid surface installer would do it, if you use denatured alcahol instead of soap, there will be no cleaning up soap afterwards, and also when tooling, dont do it in one long swipe, do many small swipes, cleaning your finger after each one.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
I HATE caulking!

Thumbs up

Caulking Techniques

Went pretty good oh'mike. Not perfect, but not bad either, certainly easier and quicker than laying tape!

I did the short run at the end of the tub, and stayed cool through the first run I didn't like, and the second where I missed a bubble. Cleaned them off and just did it again. Chalked it up to rehearsal and my personal adage of:

"Don't expect to do what the pro's do with 1/100 the experience in 1/2 the time."

Thanks for the mention of the alcohol and short swipes One Cut, I still have three seams to redo so will give that a shot too.

I restore vintage sewing machines and teach bicycle maintenance at a local coop. Looking for when I can pass some of that on!

Thanks again

Ron

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiseiji For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-08-2013)