Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #1

Share |

Caulking around bathroom sink

Greetings,

A small section of the caulking around my bathroom sink, about 4 cm in length, has broken apart. From what I can see, there is no longer a complete, water-tight seal against the sink in the area where the caulking is damaged. I am reluctant to remove the caulking from this area completely, in case I end up just making the problem worse, by increasing the damaged area. (That is, I am assuming that if I try to remove the small area of caulk, I will compromise the seal at either end of the damaged area.) The seal around the rest of the sink is fine.

My question, then, is if it is possible simply to caulk over the damaged part? I've read you shouldn't put new caulk over old caulk, but I am wondering if that applies for such a small area. Can I just squeeze caulk into the space and seal it up? If not, is there a way to completely remove the damaged caulk and replace it without compromising the rest of the seal? If that is the case, what tools should I use? I briefly started this process using a very small, flat-headed screwdriver, but wonder if that the most appropriate tool. As I said, I was reluctant to finish doing this, in case I made the problem worse.

Of course, I am hoping that this is a minor issue that won't require re-caulking the entire sink! I don't think that would be within my own expertise.

My main goal is to prevent any leakage into the cabinet below, and to prevent the wood under the sink (at the top of the cabinet) from getting damp.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you can provide.

mr_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
IR Tech

Hey Mr.R

yes, just go ahead and caulk over the old one. It will not be a problem as it is a very small area. Also, the caulking will mostly fill up the space, so your not really putting caulk over caulk. The other thing to consider "broken apart" implies that its stiff...if its very old you will have to re caulk the whole thing eventually, just use a exec-to knife to cut the caulking by the wall, you can probably loosen one end and just pull on it...

To redo the whole thing you'll need:

- blade knife
- > 1 tube of caulk
- rag

heres a link you might find helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL55y...eature=related

Hope this helps...

Danko IR Tech
Flat Roof Inspection Toronto
Insulation Inspection

Its really easier then you may think...

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danko For This Useful Post:
mr_reader (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, it is very helpful.
mr_reader is offline   Reply With Quote