Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Caulk or grout/level compound

Hi,

I'm in the process of remodeling my guest bathroom after a complete gut job. I just want a couple of different views and advice regarding areas where I've heard many different things about.
1. Should I caulk or grout the inside corners of the tile in the shower? If caulking, any special caulk?
2. Can I tile directly on a self level eking compound (LevelQuik RS) that has a floor heating system underneath, or do I need a membrane of some sort in between?

Thanks a bunch!

Marcus

sundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Caulk or grout/level compound

You should caulk all changes of plane and where dissimilar materials meet. You can use a sanded caulk from where you buy your grout. When you choose a grout color, make sure they have a caulk in the same color.

You can also use a silicone caulk, which you have to finish with mineral spirits or paint thinner. I have never used this type. It is supposed to be better.

The first type does shrink some. And it dries fast. I use a sponge to finish it with as soon as it is applied.

If you grout with urethane grout, which one might recommend, I think you can get by by using it in the corners. It is much softer than a cement based grout.

You can tile directly on the self-leveling compound.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
sundh (04-22-2013)