Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #1

Share |

caulk failed

After installing a new tub in my tub/shower alcove and completely re-tiling the walls, I did a very careful job of caulking the area where the porcelain and acrylic tub join. The area was extremely clean and dry. I let the caulking dry for three days but within a day of exposure to water from the shower, the caulk was clearly failing was beginning to shrivel from exposure to the moisture. I cleared out all of the caulk and spent a good deal of time cleaning and drying out the entire area again. I then re-applied the caulk a second time but within a few days of exposure to water, again the caulk failed in the same way. The product I used was "DAP® KWIK SEAL PLUS® Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Caulk w/MICROBAN"

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...=21&SubcatID=5

I have again cleaned out the entire area and have been letting it dry for several days. Obviously, this isn't working an I don't plan on repeating the
same process again. Should I expect that this product would fail so badly?
Or have I made some error in how I have used the product?

I am planning on switching to "GE Silicone II"

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...060&lpage=none

But before I do, I wanted to ask others if they have any suggestions or experience with this before I begin with Silicone which, as I understand it, is more difficult to clean up should it also fail.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

boston_michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Home Remodeler

caulk failed

I only use GE Silicone II, had to many failures using others.

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #3

caulk failed

GE Silicone II,it should help
detroitMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #4

caulk failed

I used this same product (bought at Home Depot) to caulk a shower base perimeter. Let it cure 48 hours before use. After two days of use, the entire perimeter I had caulked had almost dissolved! Shriveled up into "curds" -- almost like cottage cheese.

Should have known better. As I applied the product, it had a "grainy" texture, rather than being a smooth emulsion. These guys have a problem -- they've apparently shipped a bad batch of this stuff.

I'm going to look for PolySeamSeal, the product I really like for this application
tweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 AM   #5

caulk failed

Manufacturers will stand by their product. I had some GE product fail at work and it was a bad batch. I called their customer support and gave them the product batch code. It was a known failed batch. They not only replaced the product but paid us 900 dollars to go towards labor in removing the old caulk and replacing it. It was a pain in the arse but they were great in resolving the issue and helping us with the cost of labor. Call them and find out what is going on. If it is a problem with their product not working then they should know about it. If it is a problem with your application then they will let you know what you did wrong and you will learn something. Win win situation.
designstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #6

caulk failed

You should use a 100% silicone caulking. Never use and adhesive caulk of any kind as they generally harden like a rock. You need something that flexes when cured.
As for application, if you mask both sides of the application with the blue painters tape, you can apply the caulking, force it into the opening with your finger and just remove the tape for a clean job. Cleanup with mineral spirits.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote