DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cast iron self-rimming kitchen sink & granite tile

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  angus242 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am working on a kitchen remodel and have already put in some of the granite tile on the countertops and backsplash and it has turned out really nice. However, I am becoming frustrated with the area around the kitchen sink. I have a beautiful self-rimming cast iron Kholer sink and 12"x12" granite tiles. I realize that an undermount sink or tile-in sink would have been a better choice for this remodel, but unfortunately it is too late to return the self-rimming sink now. I actually don't mind having the rim around the sink as my old sink was self-rimming and never seemed to bother me.

My question is how exactly should I install the sink? I have made the appropriate cut-out for the sink and have installed both the plywood and cement backerboard.

If I install the sink on to the cement backerboard and then tile up to it the tile ends up being a bit higher than the sink rim and I am left with gaps at each corner of the sink due to the sink's corners being rounded. Am I to try to make rounded cuts on my tile where it meets the sink or do I simply make square cuts and grout in the gaps? How would I even go about making a rounded cut with a simple wet-saw?

The other option is to install the sink on top of the tile. This will cause the sink to have the rim up higher than the tile (as is the way self-rimming sinks are designed) but would, in my opinion, provide a cleaner look. My only question here is would the weight of a cast iron sink end up cracking the granite that it is set on top of?

I really want to get this done so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
You should set the tiles and then mount the sink on top of them. I think it would look weird to butt the tiles against them :huh: not to mention, good luck making those cuts!
Kind of after the fact but I sure hope you used the proper sized ply and CBU. Here's a link to a member's website who pops in now and then explaining tiled counter tops:
http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com/backsplashesandcountertops.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.