Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Share |

Can I tile over the window in my shower?

I have a 2x3' glass block window in my shower....I would like to not have the window, but the amount of work to remove it and match the stone on the outside of the house would be close to impossible. I was wondering if I could just board over the window on the inside, (insulate it ofcourse) and then tile right over it. That way it would still look like a glass block window from the exterior of the house, but from the inside, would look windowlesss?

pumpkin8880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

I would do exactly that. Frame it out on the inside and make yourself a ledge so you can put all your soaps and stuff. Use cement board, tape with the special and water proof before you add your tiles.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Seems like a reasonable compromise if you really dislike the glass block window. If it can be done in such a way so as not to damage the glass blocks, that would be better still. As I understand it, those glass blocks are expensive and if you go to sell it, the future homeowner may want to open it back up.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

When you do this, just be aware that you can see through the block from the exterior. Apply something to that side of the wall that won't look like you boarded up the window and won't peel and look like crap from outside.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote