Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

Can I frame with wood on a building instead of metal studs

Hi I am renovating my bathroom moving toilet pipe in a 6 stories building condo. I have a 8" slab of concrete between floors. All the old structure is concrete blocks and plaster. I did the demo and I want to ask if I can use wood studs instead of metal studs.

EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

Check with the local building department and the condo board----Some towns require steel in commercial and apartments---others do not.

The gauge of steel will be specified in the code--all steel studs are not the same.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

You are going to get several posters who will all ask "what does your permitted plan sheet say". While this is a valid answer, I'll cut to the quick.

Surely and emphatically there is little chance that you can use standard wood construction in a six storey condo of existing non-combustable construction.

By the sounds of it, I would guess that your building is an older Type I building. These buildings are built of the highest non combustible construction. Common examples are heavy steel-framed office buildings where the structural steel has been fire proofed, and residential buildings with post-tensioned concrete slab floors and steel stud walls. The different types of construction are due to occupancy loads, and occupancy types. A residential building will have less people in it, but they can be expected to be asleep.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-12-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

The walls in this building are of that white blocks. They are softer than the gray concrete blocks. I suppose we cannot nail wood furrings neither.
Thank you guys for your answers. I will check Building plans and with the condo board.
EHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHouse View Post
The walls in this building are of that white blocks. They are softer than the gray concrete blocks. I suppose we cannot nail wood furrings neither.
Thank you guys for your answers. I will check Building plans and with the condo board.
I have no idea what "white block" are.

Most condo boards are composed of idiots who wouldn't know a board if it was up their a_ _ .

If you stick with metal stud construction, you won't get in trouble vis a vis construction type as long as you do not tear down/into any fire walls
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote