Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 516

Cabinet finishing question

When i make my cabinets over the next two weeks, i intend to make the face frames from solid oak, and im ordering doors that are made from solid oak as well. Once they are installed, im painting the faceframes bright white, and the insides offwhite, and the doors bright white to match the walls. If i polyurethane the face frames and doors, will it help them to last longer? Or am i wasting my money?
The cabinet box will be made of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood.

TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
When i make my cabinets over the next two weeks, i intend to make the face frames from solid oak, and im ordering doors that are made from solid oak as well. Once they are installed, im painting the faceframes bright white, and the insides offwhite, and the doors bright white to match the walls. If i polyurethane the face frames and doors, will it help them to last longer? Or am i wasting my money?
The cabinet box will be made of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood.
If your going to paint them....I would not use oak. It's a great wood....but it's a crime to paint it....

For painting, I would suggest poplar....it's hard enough to handle the wear and tear and about 2/3rds the cost. When you order the doors...go poplar as well....

Avoid Pine....too soft...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

yeah ive been told to only use hardwood for the face frame due to other woods not being able to support the weight of the door. They said the screws would pull right out. So if i use poplar, thats fine but what about the polyurethane? Would it help, or am i better off to just paint and leave it?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Damn.....I have to stop reading only part of the post....my ADHD is kicking in....

Wasn't that a good game New Years day?

Oh yea...paint...

No poly.....I would only use poly if I was going to stain it...just use a good high gloss paint....it will also be a lot easier to touch up at a later date.

If you don't have a HVLP sprayer, you might want to get one....it would be ideal for this kind of job. No brush strokes...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Im not painting with a brush, that would take several days. I had actually intended to use a good quality trim roller. Ive never seen a battery operated paint sprayer, and there is no electric at the house right now. We still need to finish the wiring before we can turn on the electric. But while my mom and dad work on electric, me and my future hubby intend to work on cabinets.