Cabinet Crown Molding - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cabinet Crown Molding

I need opinions on if you think this cabinet crown molding is installed properly. It's installed wider than it is tall. My contractor insists it's correct and refuses to fix it, but I think its upside down. He said the rope wouldn't look right the other way, but that was added on after install. Everything I've ever seen tells me the ogee should be up and the detail work/ small cove should be at the bottom.Being 52/38 crown it should also be taller than it is wide. He wanted to bet me $500 I'm wrong but I'm not playing those games. Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet Crown Molding-img_20140313_215734_225.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Old College Try; 03-14-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old College Try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,854

Cabinet Crown Molding

I can't see the back if the trim so I can't say. There are so many different profiles today it is hard to saw which is which. IMHO the molding should come down the wall further than out on the ceiling. In your case it would probably would come down into the cabinet doors if flipped though.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

Cabinet Crown Molding

Looks fine to me.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Cabinet Crown Molding

Do you have a scrap left over that you could take a pic of the edge profile, and then take two pics from the front with the piece upside down and then right side up.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Cabinet Crown Molding

Moldings can be installed different ways according to your desire. The bottom line is if your happy with it leave it and if your not have it changed. It is your home and you are the one that has to live with it in the end. With that being said I don't think your contractor should have to do it free of charge because the molding looks nice the joints look tight and over all they did a nice job. maybe you can come to an agreement to do it for cost with no profit since it is a re-do. The ultimate decision is yours.

- Full Swing
FullSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,736

Cabinet Crown Molding

post a pic from further back.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

Cabinet Crown Molding

Here's an edge profile and another pic of the installed crown. I also saw a sample kitchen at Menards today with a very similar crown... installed properly. The crazy part is that I never even got to the point where I discussed fixing it or what it would cost to fix. He just said I was wrong and he wasn't touching it.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet Crown Molding-cabinets3.jpg   Cabinet Crown Molding-edge-profile.jpg   Cabinet Crown Molding-menar_cab.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,854

Cabinet Crown Molding

looking at the picture of the end view of the trim, the right hand end goes on the ceiling normally, because that type of trim is made to receive dental (sp) mold as an option. We have the same profile in our kitchen as the one with the end view. I purposely ran ours upside down because of the distance from the top of our base cabinets to the bottom of the wall cabinets would have been less, had I ran it the other way.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,736

Cabinet Crown Molding

its all personal preference. but, imo, the top pic, it is sticking out too far. i would not be happy with that.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

Cabinet Crown Molding

Of the three pics you just posted, the last one is the correct way that crown was designed to be installed. The small tighter details go on the bottom, the larger ogee curve goes on top. Whenever I install new kitchen cabinets, I always check the crown before I determine the upper cabinet height. I also check the amount of overlap on the doors to see how the crown is to be mounted. Your installer installed it upside down. My guess is either he didn't know, in which case he shouldn't be doing what he's doing, or he misfigured the height of the upper cabinets and didn't leave enough space.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Cabinet Crown Molding

Unfortunately there is adequate room above which would have allowed him to install it correctly. He either truly believes it's correct, or he's too stubborn to admit he's wrong. I fully agree that he shouldn't be installing cabinets. He talked a good game, but he's in way too much of a rush to do a good job. Thankfully I spoke with the owner of the cabinet company and he told me that he'd work with me on ordering new crown if I decide to fix it myself. I should have done this whole project myself to begin with. I'm so depressed about this.

Advertisement