Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bypass Shower Doors Install Question

DIY tile job in master bath. Bypass shower doors to be installed in a few days. What steps should I be checking on during the install? Redid this bath due to mold--would hate to set off same problem due to incorrect install.

houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Bypass doors are the easiest of shower doors to install, hence why all the box stores sell them off the shelf. Not a lot to know about installing them other than make sure that they are sealed along the inside to prevent water from getting under the tracks and causing mold. This includes where the bottom track meets the verticle tracks . Clear silicone caulk usually works the best as it will not clash with either the tile color or the track color. If there are gaps between the tracks on the outside of the doors where it meets the tile, caulk along there as well. But remember, sometimes less is more, meaning don't caulk just to be caulking. Water wont intrude from outside of the shower. Newer bypass doors have the wheels along the top rail which is supported by the side rails. So, even if they are installed on a fiberglass/acryllic system, the side tracks are merely supporting the top rail and the screws along the vertical/side tracks just hold them upright. I have seen 'good doors gone bad' due to installers 'over caulking'. Not that it hurts the door, but that you now have unsightly caulking spread along the outside, visible edge, of the track.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #3

Thanks--very helpful info.
We installed a 2' tall shower enclosure base with seats instead of regular shower pan & installed the tile & backer board in the wrong place (flush against studs instead of adding a sheet of backer or drywall 1st.) So there are about 3" difference between top of where shower doors will be and bottom. The installer will apparently cut to fit and they have added 3-4 extra side panels so there will be enough frame on the sides to support the glass.
Should I add an antimold caulk over the clear silicone the installer uses? I see you don't love overusing caulk, but need to avoid future mold issues.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

You're quite welcome, and the intstaller may very well be using a mildew resistant sealant. You can ask him, or just go ahead and purchase a tube of GE Silicone II Clear. It has what GE calls bioseal, an anti-mildew additive.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #5

thanks.