Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

bypass shower door height (Need more height!)

I'm working on a forced bathroom remodel due to a sewage disaster, and the stupidity of the previous owner, (who was unable to do anything correctly, so this is a total gut job of a studs up remodel in 2006.) I am stuck on what to do with the shower doors.

The bathroom is so small that it depends on bypass shower doors. (No room for swing out door due to location of toilet and light/fan switches.) I have been all over, but the only bypass shower doors I can find are 68" or 69" in height. The original doors in the bathroom were that height, but with me being 6'5", I was getting scalped by the metal door track twice a week. (very painful, and you'd think I would learn to duck, but I must have damaged my brain the first few times I hit it.) Raising the shower curb unfortunately isn't an option, as my wife can't safely step over anything very high. What are tall people doing for bypass shower doors?

Attached is a not to very good scale MS Paint drawing I made in three minutes with a touch pad on a laptop depicting the existing layout of the bathroom. This bathroom is approximately 8' 3" deep and 4' 3" across. Access is through a 24" pocket door on the lower left corner of the drawing. As you can see, there is nothing that can be used in this space to allow any kind of hinged shower door.
Attached Images

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,188

sterling company makes custom by-pass shower doors think max 60" wide to max 72" in height I don't think I ever seen one taller than 72" high..just a thougth you could raise threshold up for more height????? see you said you can't raise must learn to read.....only raise far sides of threshold leave center open for access....like handicap access shower???????

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 10-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

72" wouldn't cut it unless it was sitting on top of 6" of curb, which is way too much for my wife to step over. The bottom tracks usually eat up another inch or better on top of that.

How would one have a bypass door with a dropped curb? Don't they all use lower tracks that would necessitate a curb of even height from one side of the alcove to the other?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

sorry was thinking of custom swing door to the far right facing shower..still maybe not work...?????
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
sorry was thinking of custom swing door to the far right facing shower..still maybe not work...?????
If it swings one way it would hit the toilet, and the other way would cover up/hit not only the only wall space for a towel bar within reach of the shower, but it would cover the wall switches, too.

A pivot door does not seem to be a workable solution, custom or not. That's why I have been searching for a tall bypass door, but they don't seem to exist in widths narrower than 60", and my whole bathroom is narrower than that.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

What is by-pass door?
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #7

you seem to be in a tight spot how about a cornor shower ? do want to get that involved in this project if it would work..starting to think only option shower curtain .
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
What is by-pass door?
I didn't expect that question, but okay. Bypass doors are the ones that slide on a track. You know, kind of like sliding patio doors do, only both doors can slide instead of just one.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
you seem to be in a tight spot how about a cornor shower ? do want to get that involved in this project if it would work..starting to think only option shower curtain .
Corner showers would work, but they're way too small for me, plus most of those, too, come with walls/doors that are too short. I'm 6' 5", so just imagine my wing span. Besides that, it would result in a little corner of the bathroom that was just wasted space.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

never wasted space always can use storage. will continue to look for options tonight if i find any will post it ....ben good luck
Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Forgo the shower doors and go with an extra-long liner/curtain.

You can secure grip-bars if safety in/out is an issue.

You can also permanently attach the shower bar to the wall above - even if your walls are tiled all the way up.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #12

I'm currently trying to figure out if there is hardware out there that I can use. I can find glass shops that can order doors made to my specifications, so I could make the doors any height I need, but the hardware and track is the tough part. I contacted two custom shower door places, and both of them acted like only pivot shower door set ups were available.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Forgo the shower doors and go with an extra-long liner/curtain.

You can secure grip-bars if safety in/out is an issue.

You can also permanently attach the shower bar to the wall above - even if your walls are tiled all the way up.
Sadly, my wife's balance issues mean a solid pane of glass is preferable to a curtain, otherwise it would be a good idea.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Go to a shower door place and order the size you need.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Go to a shower door place and order the size you need.
I tried that, and all of the companies I contacted said 72" was the maximum height they could give me for a bypass door. (They order pre-made bypass door kits) They only do custom pivot doors because they can only source glass door pivots and clamps.

Now, after many hours on the Internet, I did finally find a company located in California that maintains a blog, and has posted photographs of tall custom bypass doors, (80") as well as a brief description of the job and why those tall doors were required. (Tall people in a little bathroom! I'm not alone!) That said, it's apparent that they have access to the hardware, so the stuff must exist. I will try calling them on Monday, and hopefully they can point me in the direction of a company that can supply tracks, rollers, and the like for mounting glass. I have local glass shops more than happy to get me tempered glass doors in whatever size and with holes where ever I need them to be, so if I can source the hardware i will be set.

You wouldn't think something like this would be difficult to track down, but apparently it's just uncommon enough to make most of the shower door folks scratch their heads. I guess most of the time people call them in on a job is when the shower alone is the size of my entire bathroom, and there is always a ton of room for pivot doors.