Building A Tub Surround. HELP? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building A Tub Surround. HELP?

I'm redoing an old house and will be ripping out the current bathroom surround walls. I know not to use sheet rock, of course, but I have received a bunch of conflicting information on how to build the tub surround.

First. I see two different products in use. Some is called "cement board" and some is called "cement backer board". I initially thought that this was just two different names for the same thing, until I saw that the home stores label and sell both "cement board" and "cement backer board".

Which one do I need for a tub surround?

To further complicate things, some people say to put up some kind of plastic barrier on the studs prior to hanging the panels. Other folks swear that this is a bad thing to do, and that it causes mold problems behind the wall. And yet another person told me something about some sort of felt strips.

Lastly. Another person on YouTube, who is very much against moisture barriers, swears by a cement board/backer board that has an integrated moisture barrier. The name of the product is DensoShield, but I can't seem to find it in the United States.

Any help clearing some of this up for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

highmarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

I'll give you the basics--------there are two different cement type backers--Hardibacker--a fiber cement board
And Durrock (along with Wonder Board and others of that type)

Both types need to be 1/2" for walls--
both will not be damaged by water--however,tile and grout are not waterproof--so some water will reach the backer board---
if you choose to tile over the board without waterproofing the surface--then a plastic vapor barrier is needed behind the board in order to keep the studs dry.

It is best to waterproof the face of the board---A paint on waterproofing like Redguard is the simplest method---There are waterproof membranes available that come in rolls--those are the most secure and should be used in a steam shower--

The Denseshield you mentioned has a water proof membrane on the tile side---

No plastic vapor barrier should be used when the surface is waterproofed.
Tile must be installed with a powdered thinset---the bucket mastics are not acceptable for wet areas.---Hope this helps---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 732

No such thing as Denoshield. may be why you can not find it.
It's Denshield.
No way would I use it.
Mike's dead on, follow his advice.
Want to cheap out and still use an enclosure that will last a long time go with a nail on fiberglass enclosure.