Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #1

Share |

Building a kitchen island (Need Some Help)

Hey guys, I want to start a kitchen remodel. What I want to do is cut this kitchen wall that does not even go to the celing (Pictures below). I want to cut this wall in half. I want to build an island cabnit backed up against the remaining wall and place a countertop over the whole thing.

I guess I am just trying to figure out how to start. What would I use to cut this wall? How do I make sure I cut it straight? If it is not perfectly straight what would I use to even it out?

I was also thinking of buying pr-built cabinets and just screwing them together. Would screwing these cabinets up against the reaming wall be sufficient or do they also need to be bolted to the floor? Any good cabinet recommendations?

Well any advice you can give would be helpful I just have a lot to think about.

Last edited by fallacy; 01-28-2012 at 02:08 AM.
fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Retired carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacy View Post
What would I use to cut this wall?

A knife for the drywall, a saw for the frame.

Quote:
How do I make sure I cut it straight?

Lay out the cut lines straight, and follow the lines.

Quote:
If it is not perfectly straight what would I use to even it out?

It is not going to be perfectly straight. You will need to cover the hole you will have on top of the cut wall with some kind of finished top. Set that straight and cover the gap with trim or mud.

Quote:
Would screwing these cabinets up against the reaming wall be sufficient or do they also need to be bolted to the floor?
If you don't want the wall-cabinet system to rock, you will need to screw the cabinet to the floor.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

If you are doing all this work yourself, I would think about assembling the cabinet(s) yourself. I went this route for my recent kitchen and was very happy with the cabinets and price. Here's where I bought from: http://cabinetauthority.com/index.ph...FUSo4AodGgsQvQ , but you can conestoga cabinets from many websites. I highly recommend the brand, there were quality all wood, well milled cabinets. And yes, you can put it together yourself in about 30 minutes.

Please be careful about cutting into the wall as it looks like there is electric in it. I would lay out a line on the dry way and use a sharp knife to cut through the drywall and then strip the wall of it's "skin". Then you can see what's inside really easy. A saw will cut the wood cleanly if you're careful, and then you can reframe the cut section and carefully drywall the cut area with minimal damage.

I would plan on a few screws into the floor to keep the cabinets from moving. Normally you screw down a cleat and then put the cabinet on top and screw into it. Good luck.
Zanfirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
DIY staff

I hate to rain on your parade---That wing wall you wish to remove is the only thing holding up the

back wall---with the wing gone --the back wall will be loose and floppy.

That needs more thought---
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Ya electronics in the wall, first thing first. Thanks for the link

Quote:
I hate to rain on your parade---That wing wall you wish to remove is the only thing holding up the

back wall---with the wing gone --the back wall will be loose and floppy.

That needs more thought---
What do you mean? I was going to cut both walls and make like a L shaped island.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
DIY staff

If I understand the picture and your description---

You have a free standing wall--not attached to the ceiling---

The back (long) wall is to remain---right now it will stand up because it is attached on the left,to a wall--

and on the right--it is stabilized by the wing wall --you wish to remove the wing wall,correct?

With the wing wall gone--what will keep the back wall standing ? That end of the wall will now be all loose and floppy.

Add several hundred pounds of upper cabinets loaded with dishes and the wall will start to lean over and twist.

Have I Missed something?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

The wall won’t be standing. I want to cut the whole thing down to about 3 feet and make it that back of my island cabinets.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Are you cutting down both legs of the "L"?
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Retired carpenter

Quote:
The wall won’t be standing. I want to cut the whole thing down to about 3 feet and make it that back of my island cabinets.
That would make them corner cabinets.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
DIY staff

Sorry--You could do what you have in mind---that back wall will become a 'knee wall' and the cabinets should be able to

keep that standing---

Thanks for clearing that up for me---
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #11

A sawz-all is going to make quick work of the walls and cut through both the drywall and the studs (just don't cut any wires or pipes). If you are somewhat careful in laying out cut lines and following those lines while cutting you will be able to cap off the walls. You could scab on squared off blocks to the sides of each stud and level them to form a perfect cap surface, then add either a top plate and drywall the cap or add a nice hardwood cap and trim it on the underside. As for the cabinets, I like going through Menards here in MN and ordering Medallion cabinets and installing them. If you are inclined to build your own, that's fine too. For attaching them, I would see if there is any wobble to the wall once you get it down to finished size. Attaching the cabinets to the wall will help any wobble, but adding a few screws into the floor will stiffen everything up.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanfirico View Post

Please be careful about cutting into the wall as it looks like there is electric in it. I would lay out a line on the dry way and use a sharp knife to cut through the drywall and then strip the wall of it's "skin". Then you can see what's inside really easy. A saw will cut the wood cleanly if you're careful, and then you can reframe the cut section and carefully drywall the cut area with minimal damage.

I would plan on a few screws into the floor to keep the cabinets from moving. Normally you screw down a cleat and then put the cabinet on top and screw into it. Good luck.
I certainly agree with this. You could even use a hammer to break out an inspection hole so you can see where the wires go.
The cleat I use is a 2x4 nailed to the floor just behind the toe kick. I screw the cabinet into that before I install the finished toe kick.
Btw, a little method I came up with to stiffen the wall is to install 2x blocks between each exposed 2x stud, flush with the top of the stud, and then nail a 1/2" strip of plywood over the top of the cut wall. All you need then is to use a 3/4" moulding to cover any exposed cuts. You could also measure down 1 1/2" and cut each stud to let in a plate but then you have to tape and paint. JAT
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #13

Just thought I would update, took me a while but the project I started with this thread is finally done.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Craftster

That turned out great!

ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote