DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Building and Finishing Epoxy Countertop for Kitchen

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  onikonor 
#1 ·
Hello,

I need some advise regarding building a kitchen countertop, creating concrete overlay, colour and epoxy coat.

I will be using MDF board to create the countertop. What is the best way to create a concrete overlay on the MDF? Do I need to sand it down creating grit, or use a special adhesive to make sure the concrete adheres property to the board? I am concerned for durabiliuty and making sure to get a good bond. I am planning on using countertop bland of concete mix.

Is it safe to use water-based acrylic paint undernear the epoxy resin coat?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and help out.

#2 · (Edited)
Why three layers of stuff with two prone to de-laminating? A concrete veneer over MDF will not hold up well. Why not go with concrete countertops and an epoxy finish over the top if you want. Skip the MDF. Or something like Vetrazzo---concrete and recycled glass? And epoxy is prone to chipping or fissuring.

#3 ·
You are right, having a poured concrete counter would be ideal since it would be one solid piece. I am trying to keep costs down since the kitchen will be getting gutted in 5-10 years. I just want to go for a small facelift and repair the rotted out counter (behind the tap).

On a concrete reference site I found they suggested to use a cement bonding agent to adhere to the MDF. I wonder if anyone had any experience with this?

Does epoxy need a sanded surface to stick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.