Build UP My Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

build UP my floor

I inherited this mess!!!
The bathroom ( that hasn't been), is getting closer.. I am on OSB but brought in a temporary vanity, and will plumb it up and set a toilet...

anyway,.. the bathroom is long, like 12 x 30! (he had ideas for a hot tub room on the end, but I want to just make it all part of the bathroom).
so.. I figure I will step UP the back part, probobly 12x10, It will then have a step, but she can have a nice powder room, whatever.
This way I can run a heat duct in there and maybe a drain?
I was thinking 2x6 joists, but never THOUGHT about attaching them till now! toenail, glue? do they make brackets? I have only seen the HANGERS.
I figure there MUST be a way, and I am not the first to do this. I just can't think of how! I imagine on a regular one you frame it in like a wall. (box) but I can't here..... any advice is appreciated... dan

Advertisement

sixty7flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

build UP my floor

A little more info,Dan.

You mentioned OSB---Is this a framed structure? What is under the room now? Can plumbing and heat go under there?

How high do you wish to raise the stepped up area?

Could you simply set 2x6s on the existing floor?

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

build UP my floor

yep.. that's what I want to do.. put 2X6's over the existing floor.. which is 2X12 on 16... then 3/4 (ish) osb.. I cannot run anything under the existing as it is actually a 2nd story overhang. I DID, put r -30 in there and then plastic and soffit stuff to hopefully keep the cold out. I am in northernmost indiana.

so.. since I cannot build a floor then FIT it in there, what toenail and glue?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 568

build UP my floor

Just guessing since no pictures or drawings were posted, but it should be as simple as attaching some 2 X 6's to the wall studs on three sides and one across the room to connect into the ones on the walls, then filling in the middle with 2 X 6's every 16" on center.
It will end up looking like a wall laying down.
I would use blocking not hangers between the floor joist.
Attach 3/4" Advantec T & G over it with constrution adhesive on top of the floor joist and use ceramic coated screws to hold it down.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

build UP my floor

attach to the wall suds.. ahh! blocking.. i'll look for 'em.. hey. thanx so much! gonnae TRY and get the floor in soon....