DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Best way to remove wall tiles

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
I have a bathroom that has tiles around the walls and shower. I'm guessing it is drywall around the walls and backer board for the shower. It is 1971 construction. Should I just remove the tile first and then work on removing the drywall and backer board? Someone told me to just cut sections out with a grinder and remove it in sheets.

#3 ·
You think you'll find concrete backer.......1971 (?) No way. There was no backer board then. You can figure it's done the old-fashioned way. You'll be removing a "mud job", Behind the tiles you'll find anywhere from ¾-1" or more of mud, then metal lath. Not much fun.

Jaz

Reactions: joecaption
#9 ·
Do you know if the mud contained asbestos?
The "fat-mud" (used for walls), contains sand, Portland cement and lime. I doubt any of these contain asbestos, but there will be silica. Silica is a know carcinogen, but it could take years for it to affect a healthy person if you're exposed to it often. But why take chances?

Plastic sheets in doorways and air vents, fan blowing out the window, proper mask, (not the cheapo paper), eye protection. Hire someone.......

Now, that I think about it, I do think it was a mud and wire mesh job
There's no doubt in my mind, I can see it from here. :wink2:

Jaz

Reactions: ChiTownPro
#10 ·
The "fat-mud" (used for walls), contains sand, Portland cement and lime. I doubt any of these contain asbestos, but there will be silica. Silica is a know carcinogen, but it could take years for it to affect a healthy person if you're exposed to it often. But why take chances?

Plastic sheets in doorways and air vents, fan blowing out the window, proper mask, (not the cheapo paper), eye protection. Hire someone.......

There's no doubt in my mind, I can see it from here. :wink2:

Jaz

Do you think I should just gut the entire bathroom? The tile goes up about 3 feet on the walls and standard height around the shower. I was planning on just cutting the tiles. I then was going to add new drywall for the walls and backer board around the tub. It is a small bathroom. I also need to remove the ceiling anyways. I'm not sure if it will take more time than it is worth saving some of the old drywall. I'm also don't know if it will be difficult to blend it in with the new.

#2 ·
If you are not trying to save any of it, either the tiles or the gypsum board (dry wall), Why not just rip and tear it out anyway that you can.

Most tile shatters when hit with a hammer, just hit a line around a manageable size, break the backer, and pry it off in easily discarded sheets.

Then cleanup all the mess in the floor, and restart fresh.

ED

#7 ·
The grinder works, but man, it's soo dusty and bad for your health. Regular hammer, 2lb hammer, sledge, recking bars, plastic sheets, fan. Every job is different, use your head.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.