Best Way To Finish Home Depot Unfinished Cabinets? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Best way to finish Home Depot unfinished cabinets?

Finishing up a large laundry room with a 10' run of base cabinets as the final install. I'm leaning towards the unfinished off the shelf cabinets from Home Depot - best price for the quality as far as I can see (incl Ikea). I don't have (nor am I inclined to rent) a sprayer for a professional finish since this is for the laundry room (not kitchen) but looking for a GEMO stain/poly method or paint (but fear annoying brush strokes with latter). Have some flexibility to consider tinted stain (maybe a kinda funky teal?) since if I don't like the results, I can always paint over. I'm assuming the process is to sand lightly, apply stain (have heard gel stains give the best result) with enough coats to desired hue then poly, light sand, poly, and if I can stand it sand and poly again. Does this sound right or is there a better approach?

Advertisement

toocheaptohire is offline   Reply With Quote