BEST USE OF Bathroom SPACE...READY GO - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

BEST USE OF Bathroom SPACE...READY GO

Hi DIYers!

ive got a 146"X 85" space im converting into a master bath. Im trying to fit in two sinks, toilet (WC closet nice but not nesecary), master closet and a standing 42"X42" corner shower thats got a diagonal glass door. its a hexogonal shape on one side and square on the other...? see pictures for reference. SO, what layout is of highest and best use here?? all the empty space in first two pix will be closet space. The doorway can also be widened or shrunken if you want, we haven't framed it out yet.

Personally i prefer the split sinks, but my investor thinks the toilet is too exposed.... Lots of closet space that way though.

In the last pic i just put the closet outline next to the bathroom, its not an additional bit of space unfortunately.
Attached Images

Advertisement

rlc05n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Oops. Didn't look at the pic close enough.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blondesense; 09-16-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Didn't look at the pic right.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Lets try again.

First of all, you don't show it, so I don't know if it is part of the plan, but I would want a wall between the bathroom and the closet. I would be concerned the humidity and moisture from the shower would get to my clothes.
If you decide to go without a wall, I would install a ventilation fan stronger than what the square footage calls for.

I would consider the second pic, add a wall with pocket door, and turn the toilet 90.

How essential is the second sink? What looks good on paper can be awful cramped in reality.
Before you commit, I would suggest you move your coffee table, get some cheap masking tape and lay it out to scale on your living room floor. What looks good on paper can be awful cramped in reality.
You speak of an investor. A second sink is not an upgrade when it is forced in where it doesn't really fit.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 532

I agree with Blondesense. Do pic 2, and put a wall with a pocket door between the closet area and the rest. Do away with one sink if you can. Turn the toilet. THat will be the best use of your space.
I personally would not want my clothing in the same room as the toilet, smell sticks to clothes, you know. Plus the steam from the shower will make them damp and moldy, so you will end up with damp, moldy, stinky clothes. It doesnt have to be a thick wall, you could even use 2x3's if you want with thin drywall, or 2x2's with paneling, but you need to seperate those spaces.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I'm with Blondesense & TrailerParadise in that you need to wall off the closet, however I'm partial to Drawing 1. I like that the toilet is tucked away into the corner not plopped right down in the center of the room. You could use obscure glass on the sides of your neo-angle shower to add privacy. Plus, with the sinks side-by-side, you'll have some nice options for lighting and mirrors. Good luck on your project!
GlassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

The problem with #2 & #3 is that your shower valve is on an exterior wall- not good, especially if you live in a cold climate
Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Why have the master right next to the hall bath? For the balcony access? Ok, so where's the bed going to be positioned? Along the hall bath wall? Because you really don't want to have to walk all the way around the bed to get to the bath or closet.

Your #1 layout is the 'least worst' but you'd be better off with only one sink. You generally want to avoid seeing the toilet when you're looking into the room. Nor do you want to have people getting smacked with the door while they're on it (as in plan 2). Trouble is you've got the door jammed up pretty close to the bedroom wall corner and that might look odd.

Where is the closet for that other bedroom directly above it going to be located?

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote