Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
ProjectLady

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Best floor for basement bathroom

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice on the best flooring for my bathroom down stairs. We have a big project ahead of us and since we have moved our kitchen and dining to the basement level and need to replace the carpet with Ceramic? Laminate? Porcelain? My husband refuses to have wood floors. Any suggestions for the best floor for dining area and bathroom?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Joanstasks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #2

Real wood below grade is not a good idea without measures to insure it does not touch concrete. Carpet in a dinning room is bound to get spills over time. Tile is cold and HARD, but good for the bathroom, with a heater mat under the tile. Consider laminate floring. Easy to install, comes in designs other that wood look alike.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Below Grader

I side with Just Bill and your husband on this. Hardwood floors, wooden sub-floors and anything organic on the basement floor is not good idea.
Even the driest basement still gets some level of moisture, as the porous concrete slab and walls sit against humid soil. Water is consistently seeping in through capillary action. In addition, differences in temperature between the basement and the surrounding areas cause moisture in the air to condensate over colds surfaces in the basement.

Organic materials tend to soak the moisture, and being organic, favor mold growth. Laminates are a good option however, beware because many laminates or some of the materials used in their installation are still made with organic compounds. Some laminates are made with wood as well.

I'd strongly suggest that you look into flooring options developed specifically for basements like floating laminates and plastic or carpeted tiles that are 100% waterproof and mold resistant.
These floating floors will not get damaged even if your basement is under water. You take them off, dry them out, put them back.

In such products, the finished surface is raised off the floor by a system of channels that allow the slab underneath to breath and dry out, and that offers you also thermal protection, as the surface is usually 10 degrees warmer than the concrete.

And they come in several finishes... from laminates that simulate the look and feel of hardwood to carpeted to "ceramic" tiles.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote