Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |

Being too picky about 1/16" off perfect level?

Perhaps my expectations are too high. Our granite countertops went in and the raised penisula bar top is 1/16" out of level. The bubble is between the lines but just a hair off.

The bar top has a 12" overhang and one side of it meets the drywall. 4 feet wide and 21" deep. the 1/16" drop is across the 21" section. I don't think anybody else would see it but I can as the top of the bar is 5" below a window sill so I can see it.

The installers fix was to drive a wood screw through the bottom plywood under the overhang and push that side up level then cut the screw. Well one screw did it for a few hours. I came home from work and it looks like the Liquid nails was stronger than the screw as it is back where it was.

Now the installer says then need to put more screws in. I am think if one didn't work how will more fix it? I just don't want to have the granite get cracked.

At this point they will not be able to remove the top without breaking the slab. So, I guess I am screwed. It's strange that they are acting like it's not a big deal as the bubble is between the lines on the level and they tell me it's only a 1/16th of an inch.

Am I being unreasonable?
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
KemoSabe

Whether you're being unreasonable depends on several things.

Who set the cabinets? If the base is out of level, setting the granite level will leave shims and gaps above the cabinet tops. I personally think shimming the tops off the cabinets is more offensive than not. That being said, cabinets that aren't level are also offensive, but not the granite guys fault, unless he installed the cabinets.

1/16" is not rediculous over 21", if it truly is only 1/16". If it's noticable by your eye, something else may be out of level in the opposite direction of the granite, also not the granite guys fault.

After rereading your post, it sounds like the top is cantilevered over plywood? The screw pushed the top up until the plywood bowed back down? Is there brackets or corbels supporting the top on the overhang? If not, there should be and again, not the granite guys fault.

Last edited by loneframer; 02-04-2011 at 05:52 PM.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
After rereading your post, it sounds like the top is cantilevered over plywood? The screw pushed the top up until the plywood bowed back down? Is there brackets or corbels supporting the top on the overhang? If not, there should be and again, not the granite guys fault.
Yes, cantilevered over plywood, with (3) 8" corbels.

they drove in (1) screw next to the Corbel that is about 2" from the wall. it initially raised the low corner up to level. However it appear that the weight of the granite and the liquid nails is stronger than the screw.

The issue was caused by them pushing the backspash under the overhang bar on the other side. The top was perfectly level until they started working on the backsplashes. They were notching the end of the BS to fit under the bar top and test fit the piece when it was too tall which is when it raised up one end of the bar top. An hour later they were done. I noticed the bar top was off a bit, they told me that if they try to remove and reset the slab it could break.

The cabinets were level, I checked before granite went in. Issue is the installers did not listen to me. the only thing I told them was ensure that bar top is perfectly level. I think their "test fit" with the backspash screwed it up.

So is this too picky? Would you let them attempt to fix it by driving in more screws? Option 3 is just deal with it. that sucks after spending $30k on cabinets and granite.

Last edited by titan7; 02-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
KemoSabe

If the problem is due to their backsplash being too tall and it is causing you unrest, then they need to address the situation and make you happy. Hopefully you have the power of the pen on your side and have a balance due on the contract.

Again, 1/16 isn't much, but it is wrong, especially if it's their own doing.

It would have been easy for them if it had been addressed during the installation. If they have to remove the slab and possibly remanufacture one to make things right, that's the cost of doing business and maintaining customer satisfaction.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

IF you can truly see 1/16th of a inch that would be really impressive. I would not worry about 1/16th of a inch and as loneframer said somthing else is out of whack to make it seem like it is the granite. What I would do is set up a laser level (nice one that has the levels going both ways in it-- plumb and level) in the kitchen and then measure from the granite top to the laser line and see if it is really the granite that is the issue.
proremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Contractor - Renovations

1/16th isn't much, and you'd be hard pressed to notice that with the naked eye. unless something else was out of level in the opposite direction, like the window/trim/stool/apron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
If the problem is due to their backsplash being too tall and it is causing you unrest, then they need to address the situation and make you happy. Hopefully you have the power of the pen on your side and have a balance due on the contract.

Again, 1/16 isn't much, but it is wrong, especially if it's their own doing.

It would have been easy for them if it had been addressed during the installation. If they have to remove the slab and possibly remanufacture one to make things right, that's the cost of doing business and maintaining customer satisfaction.
^^agree^^

everything lone has said so far is spot on.
.::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::.

Last edited by fungku; 02-05-2011 at 02:53 AM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #7

Titan,
can you post some pics?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #8

Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
KemoSabe

I know pics can be deceiving, but that looks pretty good from here.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Are you talking about here?
Attached Thumbnails
Being too picky about 1/16" off perfect level?-diy-counter.jpg  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #12

yes, that's where it's a bit low
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
yes, that's where it's a bit low
1/16 will never be noticed. It looks great. Let it go.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #14

Titan,
I would agree with Joe. That's a beautiful piece of stone. I don't think I would mess with it. Everything else looks nice and neat.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #15

I can't see it personally. However, I completely get that you can see every little detail after looking at it for so long. I also get that you paid a bunch of money for a service/product....and are not entirely happy with the results. Been there and done that.

That said, i would also let it go. It could come out even worse next time, and although you could always make them do it AGAIN....consider time lost while you wait, etc...

Put something on the end of the counter that breaks up the straight lines. after a few weeks you probably wont notice it any more.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote