Bathtub Without Being To Big? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Bathtub without being to big?

My wife and I are redoing our master bathroom. We like the layout pretty much as it is except that our shower is not big enough and we want it some what bigger.

The bathtub is located right next to the right of the tub and and wall partition to the left going the toilet.

We are looking for recommendations for a bathtub that doesn't take up to much room but isn't so small she can't take baths and relax.

I don't care if its free standing or boxed in, which is what we have now.

Advertisement

imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

So basically you want a bigger bathtub with a shower in it. Is this correct?

Advertisement

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

If money is not an issue, rip out the wall between the shower and tub. Rip out the bathtub and put in one of those Victorian style tubs. They are shorter an taller.....and expensive.

Then on the shower, use glass walls. I'd estimate you could gain at least a foot or more.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
imola ghost (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 524

There is a 4' tub, regular 30" width. I think I saw one in Kohler online catalog.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
imola ghost (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If money is not an issue, rip out the wall between the shower and tub. Rip out the bathtub and put in one of those Victorian style tubs. They are shorter an taller.....and expensive.

Then on the shower, use glass walls. I'd estimate you could gain at least a foot or more.

This is possibly the way to go but I wanted to explore all options.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Short tubs are kinda worse than no tub at all.

Have you considered a wider tub? We had a Kohler Synchrony soaker in the old house (before we tore it down to build our new one). It was a really nice improvement over the old 30" width, 50's era tub that was there before. The only downside was it took a bit more water to bring it up to a good bathing depth (which can be a factor for the water heater). But it had a lot of standing room and was plenty comfortable for two to shower. We had two Hansgrohe rain heads down from the ceiling, along with the spout and a hand shower.

For the new house we went with a freestanding tub; the Wave by Camil-Tomlin. Which was a freaking bargain compared to the $9k one I originally found at Waterworks. We repeated the twin rain heads in a separate walk-in steam shower.

So the real questions are how much space is available and how severe a change are you (and your wallet) willing to make of it?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Just a correction to the above - freestanding tubs (claw foot or skirted) can be anywhere from 48 inches to 72 inches long. The one at my house is 48 inches at the top, but about 36 on the bottom of the tub. My next door neighbor has a gigantic 72 inch long tub that takes the entire water heater to fill.

The small ones are rather rare, as are the large ones. Ours fits me perfectly, I'm 5'1" tall and the flat part of the tub is exactly the length of my legs. I have to cover the overflow to get it deep enough for a good soak though.

Advertisement

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote