Bathtub Re-glazing - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathtub re-glazing

I had an old porcelain bathtub re-glazed. It was wonderful and I was happy with the job. Now, however, not more than six months later, there are three small holes in the surface. On the floor of the bath. When it gets wet it bubbles up rather, but settles back down as it dries. I'm nervous about using it, naturally, lest it get worse, which I am sure it will. Is there anything I myself can do about this, as we live in a rural area where no one really does this job and the man who did it is not available to me any longer? Can I mend it without having the whole thing done again?

Advertisement

schneima1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

bathtub re-glazing

You can probably dry it real good then patch it with some epoxy. It won't look the greatest but it would seal out the water and tame the blistering.

Those re-coats are never a good idea in my experience, they never last.

What you are experiencing is more or less typical with what I have seen happen over the years.

Not sure if the epoxy will have an ill-effect or not. Some of those coatings are epoxy from the git go but some of the do-it-yourself products are not. It's a gamble! Your call.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #3

bathtub re-glazing

Thank you so much. I figured I had to try painting or spraying something on it soon, but wasn't sure just what. Do you think this epoxy - have you any particular thing to suggest? - will stay on, or will it wear off? Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

bathtub re-glazing

Quote:
Do you think this epoxy - have you any particular thing to suggest? - will stay on, or will it wear off?
Not really. I see two-part epoxies on the shelf in small quantities at home centers, that's what I would try. I guess I would try to quickly spread it with a small piece of cardboard.

Quote:
Do you think this epoxy - have you any particular thing to suggest? - will stay on, or will it wear off?
I doubt it would wear off. Whether or not it will stay is anybodies guess. If you don't do something it will only get worse.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

bathtub re-glazing

Thank you very much. I'll work on it and let you know how it works.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Tileguy

bathtub re-glazing

Keep in mind that if the coating is not epoxy now it may not be compatible with any new epoxy you may try the fix with. Go easy!
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

bathtub re-glazing

I've been thinking about that. I'll probably try it on a small unobtrusive spot. thanks, again.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #8

bathtub re-glazing

I've been and gone and done it. Followed the instructions on the package, giving it two coats. It has nicely dried; however, running my fingers over the spots, I have to say it is not utterally smooth. That in itself doesn't bother me, but should I, for the sake of not raising more problems, give it another coat so as to smooth out the edges? As per instructions on the package, I have saved some epoxy in the freezer, so it could easily be done.

Advertisement