Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathtub Porcelain Enameled v. just Porcelain

I am removing an old and worn cast iron tub from the bathroom (60 x 30 x 15) and plan to replace it with a non-cast iron tub. I am choosing between a Bootz porcelain enameled tub or a Bootz porcelain tub at Home Depot. The difference in price is $259 for the enameled and $169 for non-enameled. Does anyone have any recommendations?

ALSO, I plan to sell the house in 3-5 years. Does the depth of the tub matter? For example, for a family with children? I use the tub to shower only. The porcelain enameled tub is 14 1/4" deep. The porcelain non-enameled is 16 5/8" deep. Need some advice.

amgdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Quote:
Need some advice.
Stay away from Home Depot.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Tileguy

OK, sorry 'bout that just kidding.

The life expectancy of any porcelain surfaced fixture (tub) has everything to do with its foundation. A cast iron tub would be best, a steel tub would be worst.

The actual surface (porcelain/enameled) would be basically the same as far as cleaning and durability until someone drops something on the finish, that is where the foundation shows its stuff.

This isn't to say all manufacturers offer an equal-quality porcelainized process. And seriously...The Home Depot may not offer any of the better brands.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

Home Depot is the only place I can find a 60 x 30 x 14"PLUS true white bathtub. The only other bathtubs I've found are at Lowe's 1) Sterling - which is 60 x 30 x 17 in Vikrell and Sterling's white is really a biscuit color, or 2) American Standard which is 60 x 30 x 14" only, but is a truer white.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Tileguy

I just love the way the Big Box stores have systematically taken over the minds of the general population and are convincing everyone that THEY are the only place to by ANYTHING.

Last week at Menard's I bought some ibuprofen, dog food, a gallon of milk, some laundry detergent and ten bags of tile thinset. I needed a sweat shirt also but they didn't have my size that day.

"TRY A PLUMBING SUPPLY!!!!!"
Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I have two American Standard, porcelain over steel tubs purchased from Home Depot which are light enough for a one man install. I think they are fine. Sure if you drop something hard like a wrench on them they will chip. But then again any porcelain surface would. And why would you have a wrench in the tub, unless you are doing plumbing and in that case a nice thick tarp would be protecting the surface anyway.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #7

Thank you, Retired Guy. Since you have been most helpful, do you think the depth of a tub 14" versus greater than 14" matters? Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Thank you, Retired Guy. Since you have been most helpful,......
He is describing his own bathroom to you and telling you what you obviously want to hear, I am filling your inquiring mind with real world facts and HE WINS the free pony for being "MOST HELPFUL" ? ? ? ARE YOU SERIOUS ? ? ?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

Ok, tile guy. You win. I just want a decent, not great, no bells and whistles, 60 x 30 x more than 14" tub in true white that is not going to break the bank but will also not offend a potential buyer some time down the road. Do you have a recommendation? Or, is your recommendation that I simply research plumbing supply companies and call one?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Or, is your recommendation that I simply research plumbing supply companies and call one?
Why don't I just throw one of those puppies on my back and come and install it for you too?

YES I'm suggesting you call a plumbing supply and stay away from all that cheap crap at the big box. How is that suggestion not helpful?

OH! By the way, will there be young kids involved in this tub use? Kids playing can destroy a cheap porcelain tub quicker than anyone would believe.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgdiy View Post
Thank you, Retired Guy. Since you have been most helpful, do you think the depth of a tub 14" versus greater than 14" matters? Thanks again.
The Americast tub is a little less than 14 iches deep inside and although I don't take baths my wife who does has no complaints. I am not saying that there aren't better tubs on the market, I am saying that this one suits me and I have had no problems with it. It was an easy one man install. A cast iron tub weighs over two hundred pound (maybe closer to 300, I honestly don't know). I do all installation, repairs and renovation work by myself so it is important that I can handle the tub without an assistant.
As with any consumer product, there will be Infinities and Yugos and a lot of stuff in between. Only you can decide how much you want to spend and how important it is to have the best. Since its your money, its your decision.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #12

Thank you, both. I have consulted with a gentleman at Grossman's, a reputable Northeast Home Discount Center. He gave me great advice and I now know what bathtub I am going to purchase. It's not Home Depot.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
I now know what bathtub I am going to purchase. It's not Home Depot.
Good deal! I love it when I get my way.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,004

HD does carry a Kohler cast iron tub for around $298.00. It's a good, sturdy tub that ways exactly 317lbs and may very well outlast your house. Pay a couple of young studs to carry it and throw it into the alcove for you when you are ready. With a 14" height your actual water depth is 8 5/8" to the bottom of the overflow. That's plenty deep enough for kids, you don't want to lose them do you?

I often read about the "plumbing supply houses", but unless I want to travel to Albany or Syracuse, both 100 miles from home, HD and Lowes are my plumbing supply houses.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathtub dimensions, bathtub material