Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Walls & Ceiling

I am currently remodeling a small bathroom down to the studs and installing an acrylic tub/surround from Sterling. I have an exhaust fan (there's no window) and this bathroom gets HEAVY use, so I'm trying to determine what the best wall and ceiling covering would be.

I've read about greenboard, fiberock, Zinsser mildew resistant paints, etc. To really moisture-proof this bathroom, should I install any kind of barrier behind any greenboard/backerboard? Or should a membrane go over the greenboard, like Kerdi etc.? (probably a stupid question, I know). I know there are acrylic panels as well, but not sure if they can go directly to studs and how effective they are. I've also read people on the forums not liking the expense of those as well.

Last edited by Outdoorbum; 04-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Outdoorbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Bathroom Walls & Ceiling

Green board or Denshield is what I would use.
There's going to be some say just use reguler drywall to save a few bucks but why take the chance by cheaping out.
No barrier needed under or over it, just a Primer like Zineer 123 and paint rated for bathrooms.
DO NOT FALL FOR THE PRIMER IN ONE SCAM.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Walls & Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Green board or Denshield is what I would use.
There's going to be some say just use reguler drywall to save a few bucks but why take the chance by cheaping out.
No barrier needed under or over it, just a Primer like Zineer 123 and paint rated for bathrooms.
DO NOT FALL FOR THE PRIMER IN ONE SCAM.
So just attach the Greenboard or Denshield to the studs with no other waterproofing? Yeah, I figured on priming separately. Thanks!
Outdoorbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,054

Bathroom Walls & Ceiling

If there's no tile involved there's no need for anything else.