Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

bathroom wall board remodel

My hubby and I are starting a remodel project on our 1973 3BR 2BA ranch house. We are on a limited income and we do have some remodeling exp helping others but never our own project and without any $ ! Our home was built entirely by a family who owned a logging business which accounts for the entire home being covered with wood paneling, but we'll tackle that problem later. At issue now is how to update the off white gold speckled wall board that covers the bathrooms(the speckles are just diff colors in the other baths). It is made of a fiberboard type substance, its shiny and completely smooth. We are pretty open minded and willing to think outside of the box, the sink, tub and toilet are a pale peachish color that we are going to keep so anything leaning toward a vintage touch, kind of different or out of the ordinary would be great just no wallpaper. We have hit a brick wall(if only they were) and can't come up with the right materials to work on this wallboard. It covers the entire bathroom from floor to ceiling and also surrounds the walls of the tub/shower. We are excited to hear your thoughts and look forward to some great ideas. Thanks.

4realweRdoin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

That panelling is surely dated. It is likely 1/8" Masonite-type panelling. I'm thinking it may have been called Marlite in the day. The big question for now is: What's under it?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realweRdoin it View Post
At issue now is how to update the off white gold speckled wall board that covers the bathrooms
If you're on a tight budget, virtually any wall board can be painted.
If the paneling is really shiny, I'd give a good sanding first.
Then a quality primer (I like the Zinnser Bullseye 1-2-3).
And humid areas like bathrooms should be top coated with a semi-gloss or high gloss paint.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, bathroom paint, bathroom remodeling, bathroom walls