DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom vanity installartion problem

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  older_bassman 
#1 ·
I am remodeling my master bathroom. I am running into a problem with an out of square wall and am not sure on the best way to handle it.

The vanity consists of two 27" wide base cabinets and a 14" drawer base. It will have a 14" wide top cabinet centered over the drawers.

The vanity sits in a U shaped area. The back wall width is 71 inches and all lighting, plumbing and other dimensions are based off of a 35 1/2 inch center line. The left wall is out of square by 5/16 inches over a length of 22 1/4 inches. The right side is pretty close to square being off by a little over a 1/16 inches over the depth of cabinet.

My problem is the wall to cabinet face gap on the left side is 1 to 1 1/8 inches where the right side gap is 1 9/16 inches. To me it is a noticeable difference. If I shift the cabinet fronts to make the gap even then I need to look at moving the existing electrical to avoid the top cabinet which I would rather not do.

Any thoughts? Should I just go into therapy for OCD? :laughing:

Thanks, Keith

See less See more
#2 ·
Quick Fix

http://www.prostaffbuilders.com

I own a remodeling company in Houston and we run into this quite often with clients. I have yet to see a house that has any square walls in it. Once of the easiest ways to correct the issue of a vanity installation is to shave the sheetrock back along one side untile the unite sits flush. The shaved portion will all be covered with the backsplash you install, ie tile or granite. if you have further questions feel free to email me or call me you can find all my contact info on my company website.

#3 ·
Thank you for the response.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my first post. I am not concerned about the gap across the top of the cabinets as I am having custom granite tops made for that. My concern is the the vertical gap between the cabinet face and the wall. I only have enough matching filler strips to scribe and cut one for each side.

Keith

#4 ·
Picture

Can you send picture of the vertical space you are tring to cover, also would like pick of shoe molding that you will be using and the width of the molding would be great.

With out seeing these items, i can think of a few things that way help. If the gap is to wide for the molding refer back to my original post this will delete the gap and allow for proper coverage and can remove the need to scribe all together.

The other option is to stack the molding, use a larger flat piece first and secure and then place the shoe molding on top. I really like this look it allows for a more custom look.

As stated before feel free to contact me sometimes its easier to get a full scope of the issue by phone

#5 ·
your total gap is 1-1/8 + 1-9/16 =2-11/16 divided by 2 equals 1-11/32 for each side. cut one then set all the cabinets in place and measure the other side. it should be within 1/16. with the measurements you gave you only have to move the cabinets less than 5/16 of an inch to make the gap the same. i can't see 5/16 of an inch making you move electrical. pictures would have made this much simpler. and if you can see less then 5/16 of an inch different then you have a better eye than 90% of people in the building trades.

#6 ·
Sorry no digital camera for pictures. I'm not in the trade but I am the type to notice the 1/4" as it shows up as a lack of symmetry. That was one of the things that drove me nuts with the previous vanity top. The installers cut into the drywall and the result was one sink further from the wall than the other and not aligning with cabinet doors.

I went ahead and shifted the cabinet. The lights have finials that align with the upper cabinet crown molding. To keep the symmetry I shifted one of the light fixtures away from the cabinet. Fortunately there was enough play in the fixture mounting bracket to allow this. Being closer to the wall is not noticeable due to the painted corners. Now it is just waiting for the new counter top.

Thanks again.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.