Bathroom Tub Bypass Doors Size Help - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Bathroom tub bypass doors size help

Hello, I have a finished bathroom with a glass block window in my shower on the long wall and wanted to install bypass doors on my TUB but didn't want to have the frames top rail go right threw my window. I have looked at Home Depot and have chosen the doors that I want to use and needed an opion if it can be done because I think they are for a standing shower. The doors are;

http://sterlingplumbing.com/shower-doors/shower-doors/Finesse-TM-Frameless-By-pass-Shower-Door-5475-59-detail?productNumber=5475-59&resultId=77676186-0

My opening from the top of the tub to the ceiling is 78 1/4" and my with is 58 1/4". This means I will have 8" inches for steam to come out of the shower area. From the top of the tub to the top of my window is 66 3/4" which will give me just enough room so the frame isn't in the window. I do have a Braun vent in the center of the room about 4' from the shower which is vented outside. My worry is, is there enough room for steam or whatever to leave the shower area and will this bypass door work?

Thanks!
Chad

Advertisement

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Can you post a pic? If I'm understanding you correctly, there is a glass block window where the bypass doors should attach to the wall so you want to use taller doors so they can be secured above the window? Would there be a gap between the glass window and the doors, or is the window flush with the interior wall?

I don't know if it is possible, but I would have to think it would look awkward at best.

I admit to being blond easily confused, but this is a tub/shower combo? This sounds very unusual. I can't imagine a builder intentionally put a window halfway into a shower. I would be concerned the the shower wasn't original and was added later. This could lead to water damage issues if it was not done properly. What is the surround made of?

Pics of the window, the wall, and the tub would help.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

OMG, you are thinking way outside the box The window is in its normal place. I just wanted to know if placing a taller bypass doors would effect anything since it would be closer to the ceiling...

Thanks,
Chad
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
didn't want to have the frames top rail VISUALLY go right threw my window
OK. Gotcha.

I'm not an expert, but one concern would be with the restricted air movement, trapping moisture in the surround area after your shower you will encourage mold etc. Keeping the doors open when not in use so it could dry out thoroughly would be a good idea.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

As we all know...warm air rises. And so does warm moist air, to a point. In addition the "draw" of the vent will transfer the air to the outside but here's the problem. For the exhaust to work properly it will need some make-up air from some place. It won't be coming from the shower, so any moist air that gets relocated to the outside will be because it has simply fallen in line with the other air in the room and any air that is being drawn from under the door or through a floor heat vent if there is one.

Typically those bathroom exhaust fans don't work that well. If yours has the volume ability to move air to the outside it may work for you but I doubt it.

I would put the exhaust fan on a timer so that it can run for a couple of hours after the shower is used.

As far as the gap above the door, the eight inches represents about three square feet of air space. The power of the draw of the exhaust fan will determine how many cubic feet of air (times three) can actually be evacuated from the shower area in a given period of time.

Maybe changing the fan should be considered.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Ok bud, here is my specks on the Nutone light/fan:

http://www.nutone.com/PDF/Specifications/9093spec.pdf

The dementions of my bathroom are 58.5w X 8'L X 8'T and I'm including a picture of the bathroom so you get an idea... Is the fan sufficient?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

OK, lets back up a bit and take a good look at your pic.

Your shower rod appears to be above your window, but if you follow the grout lines you see that it is actually installed lower than the window.

Perspective. You don't have to go 70". Anything comparable to the height of your shower rod would not visually interfere with your window.

I would be concerned a taller door would not only look awkward, but make your bathroom look taller and narrower.

BTW, I love your bathroom. It looks great!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

The rod is just thrown in there and is way to high for a curtain but thats about where the bottom of the frame would be. if I were to install the bypass doors the frames bottom wold be the same height as the top of the window which would be great because you could see the entire window threw the shower glass. this was the whole purpose of of the taller doors. Thanks for the complement, I did all the work myself....

Last edited by oxicottin; 06-04-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Based on your specs theoretically it would take five minutes to exhaust the room air volume one complete time. Depending on where the makeup air is coming from it may take longer if the makeup air source can't deliver at least 70 cfm.

Personally I don't think the fan is big enough for my liking. That cfm rating may be all a 4" duct can handle anyway.

Advertisement