Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Fire Tech

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Bathroom Shower Window Replacement Question

I just purchased a home that needs a little TLC. I need to replace a window in a bathroom, which is located above a bathtub. I have all the material I need. I am asking around to see if anyone may have some tips on what to seal, cover or protect the window from the shower. I Have seen tile used in some other applications. If I do that would I need cement board to do this the right way. Or are there some other options. I am open to Ideas.

Jonnyonthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Window should be vinyl with opaque glass, nothing that needs covering. Any tile in a shower should be over cement board or hardibacker.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Tired & Dirty

Rewards Points: 75

agreed on an all vinyl window, but I would put a short slider in so it is above the water splash line and neighbors can't see in, I know how it is to have a full length window in shower/tub, it Su**s! If your doing some remodeling now is a good time to do it, you will not regret it.
evapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyonthespot View Post
I just purchased a home that needs a little TLC. I need to replace a window in a bathroom, which is located above a bathtub. I have all the material I need. I am asking around to see if anyone may have some tips on what to seal, cover or protect the window from the shower. I Have seen tile used in some other applications. If I do that would I need cement board to do this the right way. Or are there some other options. I am open to Ideas.
It would help if the post included more details of the job.
What type of a window? Is this part of a larger renovation on this wall or is it just a replacement window going into the old wood frame?
Where were you going to put the cement board?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Fire Tech

Rewards Points: 10

The bathroom is the only room being renovated. the rough window size is 30"w X 38"t. I am thinking of installing a 24"X24" sliding window. I plan on covering the entire bathtub area with the cement board. The window trim will be tile. So I was wandering if I should use the cement board around the window or is there a different app. that I could use.
Jonnyonthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Generally, we advise people (who want to keep a window in a shower location), to: Order, and install a vinyl window. Order it without window jambs. When installing it in the old window opening, rather than using wood trim work, use PVC composite (non wood) trim. Use it for the window jambs, casings, and apron. When installing the stool (interior sill), pitch it slightly for water drainage. Use mold/mildew resistant caulking. Paint with an exterior grade, mold/mildew resistant paint.
If these things are beyond your skill level, consider highering a qualified and experienced carpenter.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

How about using glass block for the window?

http://paragonbathrooms.com/northmoorhead.aspx

Scroll down 3/4 down the page and you can see the edge of the glass block

Good Luck!

Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote