Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom reno/tiles/mold

Dear fellow diy-ers,

I am renovating my master bathroom next week and would like some tips on particular things.*

I currently have a very nice bathtub liner. I would like to keep the bathtub as is, without replacing it. What I am very excited to do though is remove the ugly, out dated plastic liner panels that are on the walls around the bathtub. I would like to tile those walls instead.

My question, and concern is what will I find behind those plastic panels once I take them down? I currently have a very slight mold problem that is in a 'dot' pattern on the ceiling above the bathtub. My guess is, either there is some water damage behind the wall panels, or perhaps very poor ventilation (my bathroom vent is very old and is one of the things that I plan to replace during this reno).*

The mold can easily be wiped off, but it just comes right back in a few weeks. There currently is no heavy mold spots where it affected the surface of the ceiling.

I also have a slight mold spot on the front side edge of the bathtub (where the bathtub meets the wall.*

Questions that I have:

How do I best remove the mold off the ceiling and on the side of the bathtub where it meets the drywall? Any sealants/protectors that you can recommend?
Are the plastic wall panels usually glued down on top of drywall?
When I take down the panels, if there is water damage, should I replace all of the drywall around the bathtub?
For the tiling, do I even need the drywall? Or can I rip it down to studs and just slap cement backerboard on it for the tiles?*
When I do this, do you recommend taking out the bathtub completely? Especially if there is water damage?
What is your advice to ensure very good moisture proof and waterproof renovation, when it comes to tiling around the bathtub?

I apologize for so many question. Any help will be very much appreciated! Thankyou inadvance.

Evalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Bathroom reno/tiles/mold

First of all, I am answering your questions with the assumption there is a shower above this tub. YES or NO?

Questions that I have:

How do I best remove the mold off the ceiling and on the side of the bathtub where it meets the drywall? Any sealants/protectors that you can recommend?
Don't try to save moldy drywall. Replace it.

Are the plastic wall panels usually glued down on top of drywall?
Possibly. They may be over drywall, they may be attached directly to the studs. Don't know til you get there.

When I take down the panels, if there is water damage, should I replace all of the drywall around the bathtub?
No drywall in wet areas. Outside of the shower area replace the drywall. Inside a wet area, use some sort of CBU.

For the tiling, do I even need the drywall? Or can I rip it down to studs and just slap cement backerboard on it for the tiles?*
A bit more complicated than that, but yes, use CBU.

When I do this, do you recommend taking out the bathtub completely? Especially if there is water damage?
Usually not necessary unless you have major water damage. If you are planning on keeping the same tub, leave it in place.

What is your advice to ensure very good moisture proof and waterproof renovation, when it comes to tiling around the bathtub?
There are several methods of waterproofing a wet area. CBU with Redgard or similar roll on waterproofing is one of the more popular (and less expensive) ways to go. There are others. Schluter-Kerdi is arguably the best, but you pay for it.

FYI, you want to be specific when you say "around the bathtub". Do you mean above the tub in the wet area, or do you mean outside of the tub and wet area where you just may get an occasional splash?

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-25-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

Bathroom reno/tiles/mold

Please only ask your question once. Your other threads of same topic have been removed to prevent confusing those that wish to help you.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote