Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
long island, NY

Share |

bathroom remodel at a stand still becuase of floating vanity installation

My gut says to not trust the floating vanity installation instructions AT ALL. The vanity was manufactured by the same tile company that made my thick wall tiles. I would estimate the tile/thinset thickness to be roughly 3/4". the vanity is supposedly designed to be installed on tile walls.

It is a veneered floating vanity. The sink also serves as the "countertop", and has seperate wall mounting instructions, so theoretically, its weight is not carried by the vanity.

That being said, the instructions state to install the vanity by hooking the vanity to two metal loops attached to the wall. The metal loops are merely fastened to the wall with three 3" plastic wall anchors (like overgrown expansion anchors) clustered together.

Are they kidding me? expansion anchors to hold up a floating vanity?!

My gut says "no no no!!!!" I think the weight of the vanity will yank out 2 6" holes from the tiled walls as it tumbles to the ground.

Now the problem arises that what I think is more appropriate (attaching a board to the wall via screws into the wall studs, and mounting the vanity to THAT) will not work, becuase the vanity/sink combo is designed to be flush to the wall. to boot, the vanity anchors are not even close to the wall stud spacing, so I can't fasten the metal loops to the wall studs.

I'm I wrong to not trust the plastic wall anchors? Should I contact the manufacturer (who I fully expect to give me the run around and tell me to throw caution to the wind and use the plastic)?

I will try to find my camera and take pics of the wall anchors and vanity attachment.

I desperately want to avoid seeing a $2k vanity crash to the ground Please advise.....

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

I would not use the plastic anchors -they pull out with a towel rod.

I've got to bawl you out before I offer a suggestion or two. You knew you were buying a wall hung sink-Right? Why didn't you put in some blocking? There you've been scolded.

If you can post some pictures of this contraption it will be more accurate.

You need some expanding anchors. You may have enough strength in the drywall/tile combo to safely hold the weight.

Can the wall be opened up behind the sink to install blocking? If so the security would be a good trade for some drywall and paint.--MIKE--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I would not use the plastic anchors -they pull out with a towel rod.

I've got to bawl you out before I offer a suggestion or two. You knew you were buying a wall hung sink-Right? Why didn't you put in some blocking? There you've been scolded.

If you can post some pictures of this contraption it will be more accurate.

You need some expanding anchors. You may have enough strength in the drywall/tile combo to safely hold the weight.

Can the wall be opened up behind the sink to install blocking? If so the security would be a good trade for some drywall and paint.--MIKE--
I know I know.... trust me, I'm flogging myself over that issue right now.
Being a neophyte to bathroom remodelling, I was thinking one step at a time, without too much forethought I was proud that I at least remembered to mark the stud locations prior to completing the tiling job!

Hindsite being 20/20, I realize now that I should have prepped the walls somehow.... but can you please elaborate on "blocking"? does that mean that I should have installed a wood board to the studs and tiled around it, so it's flush? If so, what size piece of wood, and what advice do you have to "retrofit"? I promise I'll take a pic of the plastic anchors, the wall, and the vanity with either the camera (if I find it ) or my cell and will post it.....

Well, I'm a typical DIY'er.... flying 1/2 blind. At least I knew enough not to crash land with my vanity!

thanks for your input....
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
RDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI View Post
does that mean that I should have installed a wood board to the studs and tiled around it, so it's flush?
No, I'm sure Mike means blocking between the studs, i.e. a 2x4 or 2x6 perpendicular to the studs and turned so the wide flat side is facing the room. (Easier to not miss it that way.) It's still behind the drywall and the tile, just like the studs. Then you screw through the tile and drywall into that blocking. No need for anchors in that case, just screws of sufficient length.

Hopefully you can do this, and there aren't water pipes running between your studs that would get in the way of adding blocking.

At least this is how I did it with my (one and only) bath remodel -- figured out where my towel bars/rings, robe hooks etc were going to be before I drywalled and put blocking in all those places. I didn't always think ahead adequately but that was one case in which I did.

Good luck and enjoy your project.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
long island, NY

oh, yeah, I get what you mean. I'm fairly certain there ARE pipes between our studs, since that's where the pre-existing sink was located. (the prior counter top was floating and attached to the side walls of the powder room, not the back wall with the pipes, as we would have to do now. I should really draw a schematic on powerpoint to illustrate the situation well....
Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
RDS

It's OK, I think I can picture it. How wide is the vanity overall and (more importantly) how far apart are the loops? Just wondering if they're far enough apart that they'd end up over different stud bays than the one that has the pipes, in which case you just might manage to add the blocking without the pipes getting in your way. On the other hand, depending on where the pipes run in relation to the studs, there may already be blocking in there, with the pipes strapped to it. Do you know? Did you ever have the wall opened up so you could see the framing?

Even if space is available to add blocking, however, it'd suck to have to remove (and then have to replace) both tile and drywall to add blocking. Any chance you could come through from the other side of the wall, where presumably there's just drywall and thus an easier repair?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
long island, NY

negative.

the other side of that wall has the most gorgeous cherry built-in book case. That wall can't be touched.

I should clarify. This is a small powder room. I believe the entire wall is something like 42", with only 2 studs running slightly off center from being evenly spaced. The plumbing is centered between the studs.

The vanity is designed to hang from the back edge of the vertical cabinet walls. The vanity is only 30", so it will not touch either the left or right room walls.

There's a part of me that wants to cave in as a DIY'er and contact the store to have them professionally install this bad boy. That way, if they break it, they fix it, KWIM? After all, it's their fault that there are these plastic anchors and the cabinet is designed in such an unusual manner.

Who knows.. maybe I inaccurately described these plastic anchors, and they're more durable than I think. I MUST take pics of those bad boys.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
DIY staff

Any pictures of the wall hung sink-Maybe a link to something similar?

If the unit is as small as you have described, The drywall and tile will have plenty of strength to hold it.

The stores have lots of expanding anchors to choose from Old fashioned Molly bolts might even do the trick.

Drilling your tile will be the next challenge--Good luck--MIKE--

P.S.-I forget blocking all the time(or put it in the wrong place)
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
long island, NY

sigh... That's IT. I give up on this project.

I just had another major thing dropped on my lap. Asbestos abatement at work. I must move my ENTIRE lab... every last beaker... by next week. The week following, I have to move everything back into the lab. Add that to my rental that needs a lot of painting done ASAP, and the attic insulation that is being delivered next weekend, and it's obvious that we're overextended.

I must confess. After that abatement notification at work, I caved and called a pro for the vanity project. He is a very honest guy who worked with porcelanosa products before (an important fact since they're stuff seems to be set-up differently than most manufacturers). At any rate, I went through the problem with him. He looked at the hideously minimimalistic ikea-esque paperwork with me, and we quickly discovered that the vanity mounting is NOT the worst problem. The drain pipe is about 8 inches too low for this floating vanity. If we didn't move it, the pipes would extend beyond the bottom of the vanity and the bottom drawer would have to be destroyed, or even worse, the sink would only be 27" above the ground I do NOT do wall plumbing. I don't have the experience nor confidence for that.

So, we're paying a good deal of money (rightfully so) and this man is taking over this beast of a project. he says it will take several days, since things have to cure at several steps. he's popping out a few tiles (thankfully, he's also a pro tiler), moving the pipes upwards, blocking, retiling behind the vanity area, attaching the vanity with epoxy, the provided molly bolts, AND drilling directly through the back of the cabinet into the blocking). He already tested out his drill bits on some scrap tile, so drilling is no longer an issue.

He identified the weakest link of the cabinet mounting to actually be the small metal hooks that should catch onto the wall brackets. He said they seemed even more flimsy than the molly bolts.

Well, I feel defeated that I caved in... especially since I can barely afford to do so... on the flipside, I'll be certain that the $$ vanity and sink won't fall from the wall.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
RDS

Writing the check will not be fun but it sounds as if you can be confident that it will be done properly. Peace of mind is no small thing. Good luck with all the moving and enjoy your new bathroom. Post pictures in the 'project showcase' forum.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
long island, NY

oh I will post that! After all, the wall and floor tiles, and the toilet were all done "in-house"... And those super-huge tiles were beastly to install.

Oh, we also were our own interior decorators, and I must say, we did a great job

DIY lesson: That powder room is like a newborn baby... it's a small package requiring a TON of work