DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom remodel questions

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ironman70 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I am remodeling an upstairs bathroom and need some advice. I am using a cast iron shower base from Kohler and subway tiles in the shower and out around the walls 36" up. What is the best backer board materials to use in the shower, the ceiling and the rest of the walls?

Should I use a waterproof membrane over the backer board? Am I best to use a vapor barrier behind the backer board on the studs?

Has anyone here had any experience with the Dens sheild material?

I am doing this bathroom and want it done right. I expect it to last 50 years.

Not concerned about the cost, just the best method for avoiding moisture problems down the road.

Thanks for any and all help.

Bret

#3 ·
Your not getting any play from the pros, so i will add to what has already been said. I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use Redguard over Durock as a sealant. And no vapor barriers. That would create a sandwich for the moisture to be stuck inside of.

B

#5 ·
Your not getting any play from the pros, so i will add to what has already been said. I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use Redguard over Durock as a sealant. And no vapor barriers. That would create a sandwich for the moisture to be stuck inside of.

B
That's what I did except I used Hardibacker and then the redguard. Not sure about the Durock but I'm guessing it's the same thing as Hardibacker as far as absorbing moisture.

If you use Redgaurd make sure you prime the surface first with a Reguard/water mix (I believe it's 50/50 but double check) or the backer board will absorb all the water and the Redguard will not cure properly. Otherwise a very easy product to use and completely water-proof a shower.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input

Thanks for the input all. I am still unsure which way I am going to go, but it does seem I have several choices, and no one has thrown up a red flag to any of them. So thanks again, and keep th einput coming if you having something to add please.
:no:

#10 ·
No vapor barrier. Paint on waterproof membrane over CBU or Waterproof membrane like Kerdi. These are the accepted methods of constructing a waterproof shower now. If its water proof it will also be air tight. It will also keep water vapor from getting in the walls there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.