Bathroom Remodel Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodel questions

Ok I am remodeling an upstairs bathroom and need some advice. I am using a cast iron shower base from Kohler and subway tiles in the shower and out around the walls 36" up. What is the best backer board materials to use in the shower, the ceiling and the rest of the walls?

Should I use a waterproof membrane over the backer board? Am I best to use a vapor barrier behind the backer board on the studs?

Has anyone here had any experience with the Dens sheild material?

I am doing this bathroom and want it done right. I expect it to last 50 years.

Not concerned about the cost, just the best method for avoiding moisture problems down the road.

Thanks for any and all help.

Bret

Advertisement

Last edited by brettgv3; 04-03-2013 at 05:28 PM.
brettgv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

a lot of people prefer the waterproofing over the backer board. if you use kerdi you can use regular drywall behind it.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 522

Your not getting any play from the pros, so i will add to what has already been said. I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use Redguard over Durock as a sealant. And no vapor barriers. That would create a sandwich for the moisture to be stuck inside of.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

I did my bathroom about 6 years ago. If I were going to do it again, I would use Kerdi board. I've never used it but it seems to be a lightweight product, easy to cut and work with, and waterproof when you seal the edges.
http://www.schluterkerdiboard.com/
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Your not getting any play from the pros, so i will add to what has already been said. I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am going to use Redguard over Durock as a sealant. And no vapor barriers. That would create a sandwich for the moisture to be stuck inside of.

B
That's what I did except I used Hardibacker and then the redguard. Not sure about the Durock but I'm guessing it's the same thing as Hardibacker as far as absorbing moisture.

If you use Redgaurd make sure you prime the surface first with a Reguard/water mix (I believe it's 50/50 but double check) or the backer board will absorb all the water and the Redguard will not cure properly. Otherwise a very easy product to use and completely water-proof a shower.
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the input all. I am still unsure which way I am going to go, but it does seem I have several choices, and no one has thrown up a red flag to any of them. So thanks again, and keep th einput coming if you having something to add please.
brettgv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Im in the process of doing this as well. Trying to decide between using a vapor barrier behind the hardibacker or redguard on top.

My only concern is will air infiltration - a vapor barrie will, in my mind, help in that case whereas redguard will not.

Thoughts?
ironman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 528

Could you explain how redguard will not stop air infiltration?

Seems that this thread has noted the best products and it then becomes which you will trust the most.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

In my mind, i can wrap the vapor barrier from around the three walls behind the green board that will be used outside the tub. i've never used redguard before so i was making sure it would work in my application.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

No vapor barrier. Paint on waterproof membrane over CBU or Waterproof membrane like Kerdi. These are the accepted methods of constructing a waterproof shower now. If its water proof it will also be air tight. It will also keep water vapor from getting in the walls there too.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #11

Sounds like Redguard (or the like) is the way to go...thanks

Advertisement