Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)

Hello,

I'm remodeling my bathroom in the next 2-3 weeks, and would like to get opinions on my plans so far.
This involves insulation/tile, so I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this.
House was built in early 1900's.

Demo Plan:
- Remove old plaster walls down to studs.
- Remove old ceramic tile.

Floors:
- 3/4" BC Plywood
- 1/4" Wonderboard
-- Waterproof somehow? (Ditra, Redguard, recommendations?)
- Ceramic Tile (12x12)

Walls:
- Tub/Shower wall
-- Stud > 1/4" Cement Board > Redguard
--- Bath Surround, and prime/paint the top?
* Also going to replace shower head/valve

Remaining of 3 Interior+Exterior Walls:
- R-13 Fiber Glass Insulation
- Durock/Green Board
- Prime/Paint

Am I in the right direction? If not, what should I change?
I'm attaching a rough drawing of the room.

Advertisement

Last edited by DSee; 06-20-2013 at 05:06 AM.
DSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

You are missing a couple of items---

First--floor sounds acceptable--be sure to set the backer board in thinset,as if it was a big tile---then nail with roofing nails or rock screws. Waterproofing the floor is seldom needed---Redguard would work if you wish to do it.

Walls----sistering in some new 2x4s may be needed to get the walls flat--
1/2" backer is needed for walls---

You did not mention updating the plumbing--tub--electrical or exhaust fan--
A new bath is only a 'new' bath if the mechanical is updated---

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

A house that old most likely will have balloon construction and will need fire blocking at the top and bottom of the walls in the stud bays.
It may also have old steel supply's and cast iron drains that I for sure would want to replace with new PVC drains and new supply's. At some point there going to close up on the inside and leak.
If your going to use a enclosure and not tile in the wet area then do not cheap out and buy a stick on one. Buy a nail on enclosure. There at least three times as thick and do not look as cheap.
A nail on one nails directly to the shimmed out studs.

A house that old will not have a flat or level floor or walls. Now's the time to account for that.
Wherever there was plaster on the wall the studs will need to be shimmed out or sistered to match back up with the tub lip and the ceiling.
I like to use a 4-1/2 grinder with a diamond wheel to break the wall to ceiling seam before taking down the plaster. If not your going to end up with ceiling patches.
Make sure to protect that tub while doing the demo.
Some old houses used a funky toilet mounting of using a sheet of lead inside the drain and just dowel bolts to hold the toilet down to the floor. It's best to cut all that out, install the new floor then install a new PVC flange with a metal ring.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Apprentice

Sorry for not posting more information.
The bathroom does not "look" to be that old. It's definitely not the same as when the house was built. Some remodeling has been done, not sure to what extend (plumbing, etc).

We're leaving the same tub, which looks like it was put in place less than 10 years ago (I would probably say at around 2004-2005, when the previous owner bought the property).
Main reason why I want to re-do the walls is because it's covered w/ wallpaper + some wood paneling @ bottom, so I'm pretty sure it would be easier to just rip everything down to the studs vs. remove wallpaper/fix damage caused by removing wood panels.

I guess I won't know how ugly it really looks until I tear the walls down and try to change the shower head. From the outside, it seems like a ~10 year old bathroom, with "normal" wear and tear.

I will update with more info as it becomes available, and I'm open to any other suggestions as well.
I'm taking the 1st week of July off work to dedicate myself to this project (Hopefully I can get it done in 7 days).

Thanks again guys
Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

if you happen to have a bouncy floor now is the time to address that.

posting a few photos of the existing bathroom will help get some feedback from members.

always glad to see members from Mass

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
DIY staff

It also helps to know if it is a second floor or first floor---and what the piping looks like in the basement or crawl space---iron or PVC drains--copper or galvanized pipe--
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

The only thing I have to add is that 12 x 12 seems large for a bathroom, but that is of course up to mama.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
DIY staff

Big is in the eye of the beholder---I did one last winter that has a 10x10 closet in it---16 x almost 40----
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 266

The only thing I can think of is to consider Kerdi-board instead of cement board and waterproofing membrane. It may be a bit more expensive but from watching the videos on the Schluter website it seems easier to work with. I haven't used it myself but if I were going to do my bathroom I'd give it a try.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
if you happen to have a bouncy floor now is the time to address that.

posting a few photos of the existing bathroom will help get some feedback from members.

always glad to see members from Mass
I will try to get some pictures in tonight. I haven't started the DEMO yet. (other than removing the Linen and medicine cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It also helps to know if it is a second floor or first floor---and what the piping looks like in the basement or crawl space---iron or PVC drains--copper or galvanized pipe--
This is on the first floor of a 2 family house. (2nd unit bathroom's is right above it). I also have access to most of the plumbing from the unfinished basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
The only thing I have to add is that 12 x 12 seems large for a bathroom, but that is of course up to mama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Big is in the eye of the beholder---I did one last winter that has a 10x10 closet in it---16 x almost 40----
We've been reading and talking about that a lot. There are mixed opinions on size, some say bigger tiles make the bathroom look bigger, some say it doesn't matter. Right now it has 8x8 tiles, and we(wife) "chose" 12x12 due to the large amount of tiles available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
The only thing I can think of is to consider Kerdi-board instead of cement board and waterproofing membrane. It may be a bit more expensive but from watching the videos on the Schluter website it seems easier to work with. I haven't used it myself but if I were going to do my bathroom I'd give it a try.
Thanks,
I will read more about the Kerdi-boards and waterproofing membrane.
The Following User Says Thank You to DSee For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

I used Redguard in a bath project like that one. Did the whole room, wherever there was going to be tile. I was not going to have leaks causing problems, and 6 years later when we demo'd the whole house the bath was totally free of problems. That stuff works and is probably much more 'in reach' of a DIY effort than stuff like Kerdi. Yes, you can use that sort of stuff it but it is more expensive and perhaps less forgiving of the 'learning process'. In our new house only the master bath is getting it on the walls, the rest are backer and membrane.

I don't know that I'd use 1/4" on the walls. It's not going to give you a strong enough base for the tiles. As in, someone slips and bangs their backside against the wall. 1/2" would do a lot more to prevent the wall from flexing and allowing the tiling to crack.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

You are really pushing yourself if you think it will be done in two or three weeks. Majority of bath remodels can take at most six weeks. A lot of that is waiting for the Spouse or girlfriend to decide on paint and tile colors.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
My brother's bath is a old bedroom, turned into a bath, due to a turn of the century farmhouse, that was owned by one of the elite in Depauville, NY. The years have taken its toll on it, due to not being kept up, when it was a rental for quite a few years.

We joked with my brother when he had a panel fire, that he should have just let it go, and burn the place down, since he has enough land, that a new place could be built on his other lot to the left of the existing structure, or on top of the Limestone hill, and incorporate that into the structure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
We joked with my brother when he had a panel fire, that he should have just let it go.
I've often said the same in regards to a car fire when my ex was in it...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Apprentice

Sorry for taking so long, but I've finally managed to take some pictures.

What I've done so far:
- Removed Linen & medicine cabinets (you can see the subfloor)
- Started to peel off bath surround to see what was behind it.
- Replaced toilet. (few months ago)

I plan on using the same tub and same surround(if possible), after a LOT of cleaning, but will definitely change tub & shower faucets.

I will start to remove the wood panels sometime this week and will come back with more pictures.

**** Suggestions, comments? ******

PS: I've also discovered a cut floor joist done under the vanity, to give access to all plumbing... Attaching pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-bathold1.jpg   Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-bathold2.jpg   Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-bathold3.jpg   Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-bathold4.jpg   Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-bathold5.jpg  

Bathroom Remodel (insulation,tile,demo)-basementold1.jpg  

Advertisement