Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom remodel advice?

I have a very old, very ugly bathroom that needs to be redone. From the included pictures how would you guys recommend I go about it.
I'm keeping the toilet and sink/sink cabinet. I need a new tub. Should I gut the whole thing. should I try to chip off the tile and remove the wall paper and keep the walls. Looking for the smartest approach to start. Then I'm sure I will be here asking alot of questions.

thanks
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0685.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0686.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0687.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0688.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0689.jpg  

jasesun23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Bathroom remodel advice?

Unless you're prepared to spend the $10,000 or so that a down to the studs and joists rebuild is worth... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In that vein... any chance to steal a few square feet from an adjoining room?
What about an upstairs laundry room?
---

strip wallpaper & paint? sure.
new lav/cab or sink? sure.
new light fixtures? sure.
much else? not so much.

Sorry, I just don't see the merit in starting...
if you aren't able/willing to go all the way

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Bathroom remodel advice?

It is ugly.
Depends on how much money you want to spend.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

Bathroom remodel advice?

If it needs re-wired, insulated, vented, etc, then it should get stripped.

If you just want a face lift - look into tile & tub resurfacing, strip the wall paper and look at installing new. Paint the heater etc...
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #5

Bathroom remodel advice?

Titanoman, I agree it is extremely ugly (you don't want to see a picture of the downstairs bathroom). HTH I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. If I'm not willing to put 10,000 dollars into the bathroom don't go through all the trouble of gutting it down to the studs?
I had intention of only spending 1500 to 2500 dollars on this. I'm a diy type person and am not worried about tackling this job. But before I begin I'll take any advice the forum gives. Just want the bathroom to look new and not pink and green. New tub, new lights, new fan, new medicine cabinet. Need to remove 2 layers of tiles on the floor. And put new tiles on the walls. Going to just do beige tiles, coat of paint above the tiles and the white ceiling.
If people think gutting this down to the studs is a dumb idea for doing what I intend then I'll rely on this forums judgement. Once I collect some advice I can start this project.
Easier is always better as well.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Bathroom remodel advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasesun23 View Post
If people think gutting this down to the studs is a dumb idea for doing what I intend then I'll rely on this forums judgement.
Not "dumb". It should to be done in fact... it's just real expensive to do right.
Be sure your eyes are open about costs and time and mess...
and how important that (mostly cosmetic) expense is to you right now.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #7

Bathroom remodel advice?

Thank you for the advice so far guys. Time is one thing I have. The downstairs bathroom has a shower so if this project takes me a few weeks its okay. I think I'll start with removing the wall paper, tile from the walls and the floor. Then I can decide about the bathtub.
Any advice on removing the tile from the walls without damaging it? I'll search the forums as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Bathroom remodel advice?

If you are planning to replace the tub, taking the vanity and toilet out will make things easier/simpler. You don't have to replace them, you can reinstall the same ones.

My guess is you will damage the walls past repair taking off the tile.

If the shower walls are the age of the tub, there is a very good chance you will find water damage or mold before you go very far.

Bathroom renovations have an awkward habit of snowballing.

No matter what you want to do, I would be prepared for a full gut job.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #9

Bathroom remodel advice?

have you considered having the tile and tub refinished in a netural color or white...seen many done this way saves money and looks great?????
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

Bathroom remodel advice?

This bathroom is mostly original from the 1950. I think I should just rip it out. Like some have said. I bet there is mold on the board in the shower. It could use new insulation on the one side. Maybe some new wiring. If I'm going to do this I'm going to do it right and once.
I don't want to take the ceiling down. So when ripping down the walls should I just score it where the ceiling and the walls meet?

As Ben as far as resurfacing it, it looks like an interesting route but I'd rather go with a new tub and if i'm doing that I'm going to put new tile in also.

Jay
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Bathroom remodel advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasesun23 View Post
This bathroom is mostly original from the 1950.
I think I should just rip it out.
If you're going to do more than paint and polish... yes.

Quote:
I bet there is mold on the board in the shower.
It could use new insulation on the one side.
Maybe some new wiring.
I don't want to take the ceiling down.
Get out of the mindset that these conditional terms imply.
EXPECT and PLAN to do all of these things, thoroughly...
and yet another twenty that haven't been mentioned so far.

Don't EXPECT less.
---
Quote:
So when ripping down the walls should I just score it where the ceiling and the walls meet?
Think demolition tools. Think debris chutes and dumpster loading.
Sledge hammers, roto-hammers, reciprocating saws (with DEMO blades).
Wholesale demo with no expectation of saving or reusing any surface materials.
Think very serious budget even without labor.

hth
Old 01-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
I can fix that!

Bathroom remodel advice?

Just gut it. You will save time in the long run if take the stuff out you are saving, so you don't have to worry about it, and tear down to studs. Cut out the tub and replace it. Put in a new outlet or two. Re drywall the room and put backer board around tub area if you plan to tile the shower walls again. Finish the walls/ceiling, bring in the vanity, tile the floor and shower, bring in the toilet, do whatever touchups/fixture installs/etc. needed, and consider it done.
kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #13

Bathroom remodel advice?

took a little time to decide if I was going to gut the bathroom or just touch it up. But this morning I decided to gut it.

1) Any tips for taking up the floor? I can see two layers of tile. Do I go down to the wood subfloor?

2)How should I get rid of this tub. I believe its cast iron. Break it up. Remove it as one peice?

3)there is some type of insualtion/sound proofing between the walls to adjacent rooms. Should I remove that? Or just leave it? Is there something newer or better to put there.

4)since I gutted the whole thing should I replace the 60 year old window? Is this something I could do or is this on a whole different level than gutting and redoing a bathroom. I'm worred about the siding outside. Wouldn't want to cut any of that way. Sealing it correctly etc.

Funny even though its now a none function bathroom with no walls I think it looks better than it was already.

I thank everyone for their advice. So far is wasn't as bad as I though. Beside using alot of garbage bags and probably taking twice as long as someone with the right tools I think its a good start. Hoping to have it completely gutted by mid next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0717.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0721.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0718.jpg   Bathroom remodel advice?-img_0719.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Busy DIYer

Bathroom remodel advice?

Keep the pictures coming, looks good so far.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Love for Construction

Bathroom remodel advice?

I think you made a good choice. If you have the money to do it, do it right. I would remove all the flooring down to the subfloor and see what condition it is in, it will also give you a fresh slate to start with and will lighten the load on the floor joists. Judging by the decor and the nominal framing I'm guessing this is an older home when the codes for floor spans weren't up to the task of support, so it might be a good idea to strengthen the floor while you are at it, if there is significant bounce in it.

As far as getting the tub out of there you could try and save it to give to a local habitat restore, or break it into pieces with a sledgehammer like you suggested. Just depends on how much time you want to spend on a tub that you aren't personally going to reuse. With that color of tub it is going to take the right type of person nowadays to want it. My vote is to break it up.

...and I got to ask, a ceiling fan in the bathroom, don't see that everyday, especially in that small of a bathroom.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, keep us updated.