Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodel

I am looking to remodel my bathroom. It is about 28 years old and I don't know where to begin. There is mold in the corners and grout seems to be missing between tiles in the shower. Should I start over all the way down to the studs? Or could I keep some of the walls and just put new green board in the shower/ tub area?I'm guessing with grout missing I am going to have lots of mold behind the tiles. I plan to get a new vanity and put in a jet tub(same size as one there already) and tile the floor and in shower area.

heather_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Bathroom remodel

Since you are planning to replace the tub I would suggest gutting the whole thing and starting from scratch.
It will be a whole lot easier to put a tub in place with nothing else in the room.

Things to consider:
Do you want a shower over this tub? Most jet tubs are drop-ins. Not compatible with a shower.
You have several options to waterproof a shower surround. With only one exception the use of greenboard is not allowed. I suggest you dig around the old threads here.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,306

Bathroom remodel

Blonde raises some good points. I would step back and look at the whole picture.....

A couple of questions.

Is this the only bathroom?

Confirm that you have both a shower and tub? Master Bath?

How long do yo plan to stay in this house?

What is your budget? (Coconut Pete is offering a $999 special...but you have to house and feed him....and he eats a lot.)

Depending on how you answer those questions.....depends on the advice we give.

Pictures and location help.

Also....step back and think out of the box...if your going to go through this...maybe there is something else yo want to do at the same time?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodel

It is the only full bath we have. I don't plan on moving from this house for many many years.

I'm confused ... If I put in a jet tub why can't I also use that as a shower also ?
heather_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,306

Bathroom remodel

Oh...sorry about the confusion.....our house had only one bathroom...but it had a separate shower from the tub...when the subfloor got damages...we yanked the shower completely and converted the tub to a tub and shower.

Your big issues is doing this stuff while still being able to take a bath or shower and still be able to use the toilet...unless of course you have a high fence in the backyard and neighbors who are not nosy....

The 'only' bathroom somewhat limits the magnitude of the project unless you have family you can stay with.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Bathroom remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_jean View Post
I'm confused ... If I put in a jet tub why can't I also use that as a shower also ?
You can, you just need to be sure you choose a flanged tub. You can't put a shower over a drop-in, and many jetted tubs are drop-ins.

This old thread has an example of a drop-in. See how it sits on top of the tiled deck. Then if you picture a shower over this type of tub you can understand that the water will end up all over the blue tiled area, and has no way to get down to the drain. It would spill on to the floor, and soon cause mold, water damage, and all kinds of uglies.

Surround for drop in tub

A flanged tub directs all of the water back down the drain.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-29-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote