Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom partial remodel--tile question

Hello,
Our bathroom presently has a clawfoot tub/shower combination. The tub/shower does not touch the wall on any side, but is only about 1 inch away on three sides (less on the long side). The three walls are just painted. I do not know what type of wallboard is under the paint, but it is a 1910 house that generally has plaster walls where it has not been remodeled over time. So here is my question. I am going to replace the floor with marble tile, and at the same time would like to tile part way up the wall around the clawfoot tub/shower. 5 1/2 feet or so, mayby less or more, though we are still trying to decide that. Ceiling is about 9 1/2 feet. Do I need to tear out that portion of the wall down to the studs that I want to tile, or can I tile over what exists (I'm guessing not)? What should I replace it with? Would I be better off tearing out that section of wall all the way to the ceiling rather than just the portion I want to tile? Also note that this bathroom just gained a vent fan for the first time this year, though we have never noticed any mold (have lived here 4 years). Any tips on what I might encounter here on any part of this project will be greatly appreciated.

overmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom partial remodel--tile question

I have the same exact issue. We just moved in the home in January. I hate the way the shower curtain clings to you. I have went as far as purchasing a new oval rod and shower curtains. I would love to know what kind of adivse is out there for people in our situation. I would like to enclose at least 3 sides of the tub to make it more of a traditional tub. I can not afford to remodle the entire bathroom now.

farmhousegirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote