Bathroom Medicine Cabinet And Light Rough In - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Bathroom medicine cabinet and light rough in

I am framing in a wall for the remodeled bath and would like to frame in the box for the medicine cabinet as well as the junction boxes for the sconces on both sides of the cabinet.

Only I have not yet decided what medicine cabinet to get and what scones to get yet.

For the medicine cabinet I am thinking a 24"W x 36"H one, although this may change, I might end up with a 18" wide one. So what is the best way to do the rough framing for this if the precise size is not yet known? It will be recessed into the wall that's why I want to frame in a 2x4 box. I assume even a standard 24x36 cabinet different manufacturers have different rough in dimensions?

Also how tall should the box be mounted? May be it is sufficient to just frame the upper lower horizontal members and not worry about the vertical pieces?

Related to that is there a standard height to mount the sconces on both sides of the cabinet? I don't know what sconces I will be using, I assume if the scones point up you mount the electrical boxes lower and if you use downward pointing scones you mount it higher? Or no such rule?

How far horizontally from the edge of the cabinet to the scones? 6 inches? 12 inches?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom medicine cabinet and light rough in

I would look through some pics online or in magazines before you pick your items. That way you can figure out what you like and copy it as best you can in your bathroom.

As for installing all the items you'll know better about where to place your lights, etc.

Advertisement

Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote