Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom floor help

Hello all,
I'm currently in the middle of updating a 6x7 bathroom that had a tile on a concrete slab. The PO was something of a handyman (not always in a goodway) and when we ripped out the old vanity found that he had not tiled under the vanity. Since our new vanity sits up off the floor, we had to do something about the tile. We couldn't leave the tile down and tile on top because of the height of the floor. Anyway, I've ripped out the tile and taken the thin set off the old slab.
Originally, we were planning on vinyl peel and stick to keep costs down. I'm worried about the humidity and the vinyl's ability to stick to the concrete. If we go this route, what do I need to do to the concrete to achieve the best results. I know I need to get a smooth level floor, so leveling compound, but do I need to prime the floor after?

The 2nd option is tile. If I tile the floor, I'm assuming I can spread use the mortar to level the floor and fill the cracks. Do I need to put Ditra (or something comparable) down?

I've never laid tile before, but would like to learn and since this is a relatively small job it might be a good place to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time and sorry for the long post.

proseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

Bathroom floor help

Getting the old slab smooth enough to use peal and stick will be a lot of work and expense.

Self leveling compound and its primer---then vinyl bond enhancer--then the peal and stick.

If the slab is flat then ceramic can be installed using a modified thinset---the thinset should be able to make up for minor imperfections in the slab.

Post a picture or two and one of us can give you an idea of the best course of action.

Ceramic is a permanent floor----peal and stick is temporary.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Bathroom floor help

I'll get pictures when I can. I was assuming that the vinyl was more of a hassle than its worth. We plan on moving in the next 2 years at the most, so temporary vs. permanent is less of an issue. I'd rather just not want to do this and have to fix/replace within a year. I'd rather do the tile but again, I've never done it. Thank you for your reply.
proseberry is offline   Reply With Quote