Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom fan vents

I know you're supposed to vent a bathroom fan straight outside and not T them inside, so would installing a 750 roof vent that is has an 8 inch connector to 2 4" bathroom vent feeds directly at the roof be in per code or not?

seems to be on the edge and looking for your thoughts. I'd like to minimize the roof penetrations if at all possible.

Thanks for the help.

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

bathroom fan vents

Needs separate roof vents.
What's the big deal with roof penetrations?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

bathroom fan vents

more roof penetrations means more opportunities for leaks, and I'm chasing one down now from a roof penetrations. That and I'll now have to have 3 of them clustered together which won't look nice.

I wish they would make one that would take 2 separate intakes, even if it was a bit more rectangular, to at least cut down on the clutter.
The Following User Says Thank You to MLMIB For This Useful Post:
mnp13 (07-08-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #4

bathroom fan vents

Roof vents don't connect to indoors, and esp the plastic kinds don't have enough barrier to animals. Roof vents are also made for passive venting, so may not be compatible with forced air venting. You don't want the bath air to hit a flat wall first, condense into a puddle around the vent.

If bath air can go directly to outside, then why not. I'd use wye than tee.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

bathroom fan vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Roof vents don't connect to indoors, and esp the plastic kinds don't have enough barrier to animals. Roof vents are also made for passive venting, so may not be compatible with forced air venting. You don't want the bath air to hit a flat wall first, condense into a puddle around the vent.

If bath air can go directly to outside, then why not. I'd use wye than tee.
But can I use a wye and have it still be to code? I think one of the vents doesn't have a flapper so it would be a direct path out.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #6

bathroom fan vents

I will be in the same boat as you in the future. I do not know the name of the product, but I believe there is some type of fan venting where the fan is upstream of the "Y" pulling the air out of both bathrooms. Search to see if there is such a product (maybe I dreamt it), and then call you local inspector to see if it is kosher.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #7

bathroom fan vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I will be in the same boat as you in the future. I do not know the name of the product, but I believe there is some type of fan venting where the fan is upstream of the "Y" pulling the air out of both bathrooms. Search to see if there is such a product (maybe I dreamt it), and then call you local inspector to see if it is kosher.

B
I could do that but then I'd either be halving the effectiveness of the fan or doubling the conditioned air I'd be pulling out since both bathrooms wouldn't need it at the same time =/

If they made something smart enough to do one of the Y's and not both, or to at least throw a damper to minimize it I think it'd be a viable solution. I think panasonic had something close and I'll have to go looking now....
Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
JOATMON

bathroom fan vents

They do make check valves....but....they are not always exact at closing.

If I used one of your toilets....I have no doubts you would 'know' if you were in the other bathroom.

Ever hear the phrase "You learn by your mistakes"......I'm sure the advice you're being given has some 'experience' to back it up.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
carpdad (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

bathroom fan vents

I don't think you should worry about bath vent spec codes. It's mostly CFM you need and exhaust size/distance for the CFM. I forgot about mixing vents and back drafting.
Fantech may have the solution for you, but it can get costly.
May be you should build a box on the roof that can hold 4 different ducts. But are the baths that close to each other? Even central location can make the duct lengths too long for same CFM vents.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Don't WANNA do it myself

bathroom fan vents

Bath vent codes? lol

My friend had a major problem with icicles, and found out that her bath fan wasn't even connected in her attic. The tube just ended under one of the attic vents. She called the town and they told her that that WAS to code.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is online now   Reply With Quote