Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom fan installed higher than specified

I was going to install a ceiling bathroom fan but found out that the drywall ceiling needed to be replaced; I contracted a handyman/contractor to do it and ... he also cut the hole and put in the bathroom fan (Panasonic FV-11VQ5 bathroom fan).

Instead of having the lip of the fan housing flush with the drywall ceiling, he has the lip flush with the ceiling's wooden joist (the fan housing is now on top of the drywall in the attic). The drywall is 1/2" thick which means that the fan is 1/2" higher than what it's supposed to be.

Everything looks fine and the fan is running ok - is there any issue with what he did in terms of the fan's ability to remove moisture from the bathroom?

Thanks -
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom fan installed higher than specified-fan-housing-lip-annotated.jpg   Bathroom fan installed higher than specified-fan-housing-top-drywall-annotated.jpg  

metazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

It will suck dust from the exposed drywall and if the housing is not tight to the drywall it will also pull air from the space above. It will dirty your fan sooner. Not a huge deal but I would not accept it in my house. The cover may also not fit correctly with the added thickness.

metazone (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,250

Why not take out the screws holding it in place, unless the contractor used nails, which can still be removed, and install it yourself, per the manufacturer directions.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
metazone (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The housing is 'somewhat' tight to the drywall but I think I'm going to re-do it. I'll leave it as an option for the contractor but it wasn't part of the original job so ... he may not come back.

I'll have to cut the drywall from LEFT JOIST (see diagram) to expose the screws and then create a NEW patch of drywall after I remove them. Will the new patch (it will be screwed into LEFT JOIST) be ok to screw the fan into (the screw will go through the lip, through the drywall and then into the wooden joist)?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom fan installed higher than specified-fix-drywakk.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

FYI - here are the fine-grained steps I detailed for myself for fixing this:

STEPS:

1. Turn off electric (switch box & turn off switch in bathroom)
2. (from bathroom) Remove fan grille
3. (from bathroom) Remove fan motor from fan housing (unplug it from junction box, remove 3 screws)
4. (from bathroom) Cut out drywall from LEFT JOIST to expose screws
5. (from attic) Unscrew metal bracket from RIGHT JOIST - do this BEFORE unscrewing the fan housing from LEFT JOIST (!)
6. (from bathroom) Unscrew fan housing (lip) from LEFT JOIST
7. (from attic) Now, the fan housing can be removed
8. (from attic) Take Silver Adaptor off Fan Housing (Silver Adaptor has the junction box) 1 screw, pull up on metal tabs
9. (from bathroom) Cut a small piece of drywall patch and screw the drywall patch onto the LEFT JOIST to patch the area
10. (from bathroom) Tape, spackle, sand the drywall patch
11. (from bathroom) Attach Silver Adaptor to Fan Housing FROM THE BATHROOM (NOT from the attic!) - align metal tabs on top, slip into side, attach 1 screw
12. (from bathroom) Push Fan Housing (with Silver Adaptor attached) into the drywall hole - FROM THE BATHROOM - have LIP of fan housing flush with drywall
13. (from bathroom) Screw the RIGHT SIDE of the Lip of the fan housing (2 screws) into the drywall (just to have it flush to drywall)
14. (from bathroom) Screw the LEFT SIDE of the Lip of the fan (2 screws) through the Lip, through the drywall, and attached to the underside of the LEFT JOIST
15. (from attic) Screw the metal bracket back into the side of the RIGHT JOIST
16. (from bathroom) Attach the motor into the fan housing (3 screws) & plug motor into junction box plug in fan housing
Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 540

Rather than cut the left side drywall, cut small holes where the screws are and unscrew them. Then slide the housing out from the joist from the attic. When you reinstall the housing, you will probably have to make the opening a little bigger so it fits. Hopefully there are not protrusions in the housing that are bigger than the new opening.
metazone (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,836

Or you could run a bead of caulk around it so it doesn't draw in attic dust. And let it the way it is.
Ed911 (02-24-2014), gregzoll (12-26-2013), metazone (12-26-2013), oh'mike (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

Thanks VERY much for this - I didn't even think of these things at all. beenthere - thanks very much for the suggestion - it made me think that there are excellent alternatives in case I get stuck. djlandkpl -- thanks very much -- I'm going to look into doing this -- I'll first ask the contractor if he has an estimate for it and, if it's too high, i'll do it.

Again - thanks very much
Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Is this a Handyman, or a real contractor. Put in your location at http://www.diychatroom.com/profile.php?do=editprofile down in the "Additional Information" section, so we know where you are located.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
metazone (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #10

Added location to profile.
Person who did this has a 'handyman' business that's evolved into more extensive work -- basement finishing, bathroom remodeling --
Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Now the big question, are they bonded and insured, pulling the proper permits for these jobs, in case you ever want to sell the place, and the question comes up regarding the upgrades.

The "employee" that is performing the work you are asking them to do, and as you stated there are particulars, which are manufacturer directions, that you want them to stick by, they should be abiding by your rules and the manufacturer rules.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

Update: thanks for all the replies - they were indispensable.

I removed the fan and installed it the correct way. I ended up having to cut out a piece of the drywall -- rectangular piece -- and replaced it w/ a patch when done (it was easy because it was all on the joist). Note: marked off the 2 areas where the fan was attached to the underside to avoid putting in the drywall patch screws in that same location.

I still have some duct issues that I need to resolve but ... this part is done and I'm about to paint the drywall (I had to have the ceiling replaced b/c the drywall was never secured on the sides which resulted in a 2.5" sag; contracted someone to do that and leave it in a paint-ready condition).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metazone For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (12-29-2013), gregzoll (12-29-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Or you could run a bead of caulk around it so it doesn't draw in attic dust. And let it the way it is.
Exactly. This was way overthought. If you cut it according to directions you'd have this issue anyway - the gap would just be on a different plane. It would still be a good idea to caulk doing it the right way.

The only issue would be if it's just too difficult to get those springs on the cover to fit with the housing 1/2" up too high.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

I have the same fan (Panasonic FV-11VQC5) and a similar issue when the ceiling was "dropped" onto resilient channels - about an inch below the fan housing - as a bulkhead has already been installed around the fan/ducting under floor joists it is difficult to adjust the housing itself. I think putting a 1 inch blocking around the housing (rigid Styrofoam) with caulk at the drywall seams will work - the springs are plenty long enough for the extra depth for the cover plate (I tested that before I dropped the ceiling).

Still working on my remodel and the ceiling will be the last step - will find out when I actually cut out the panel under the fan

Last edited by profcolli; 01-07-2014 at 12:45 AM.
profcolli is offline   Reply With Quote