Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bath tub or shower stall?

The house I got has a decent bathroom, the toilet's loose so new wax ring but otherwise it's nice. Walk in, small closet to the right, perfectly even with a closed-in bath tub (lined in white plastic), which ends at an artificial wall, behind which is the toilet, and then in the corner back there is the sink.

So I saw this in Home Depot:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75082535_o.jpg

And I'm thinking: what's the stance on something like this?

I don't like bath tubs. Mainly, they take up quite a lot of space! Shower stalls seem to be not very popular, though; people are claustrophobic and want a huge tub the length of the room (they're often lain longways, but if you turn the tub the other way you'll find they usually just fit... parents have multiple bathrooms where the bathtub takes up one whole wall). Then, they stand over there in the shower every day of their lives.

Me, I'm thinking: I want one of those wide counter tops where the sink is. People with huge luxury bathrooms have like a 6 foot wide granite counter with a sink in it. People with normal sized bathrooms have a bathtub and a tiny pedestal sink.

Bathroom's too well finished to bother with. If I tried to even tile the floor, it'd be pretty major. If I'm going to do anything in there, I'm going to redo the whole thing. If I ever bother with that... would it be a capital crime to replace the tub with a shower stall?

bluefoxicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Randy in Kenyon

I believe that the bathroom has to have a tub in addition to a sink and stool to be considered a "Full bath" and if it has only a shower, sink and stool, it would be considered a "3/4" bath.. If that is true, you would be diminishing the value of your home if you were to sell it. If that is not an issue for you - do what makes you feel best as it is your house and you need not worry about pleasing others..

Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Fastener Fan

Personally, I prefer going with the stall and having extra space in the room. If soaking is your idea of fun, now you've got an excuse to put in a hot tub!
AirKingFS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AirKingFS For This Useful Post:
user1007 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Remodeling a bath with a truly deluxe shower and no tub is very popular---as long as there is one tub somewhere in the house---I don't think it devalues a home----

More people take showers only---and as people age---stepping into a tub to take a shower is a risk----

I build a lot of showers that replace old tubs----
user1007 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
More people take showers only---and as people age---stepping into a tub to take a shower is a risk----
Now there's a selling point. "Shower stall--less risk of falling. includes rubberized no-slip mat!" Nothing to hit your head on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKingFS View Post
Personally, I prefer going with the stall and having extra space in the room. If soaking is your idea of fun, now you've got an excuse to put in a hot tub!
No room for a hot tub. Extra space for a wide granite counter top area with sink is the ideal situation here. More space allows you to add a LARGE mirror, have a place for your razor stand and brush, a place to set the scuttle or lather bowl that's not on top the toilet, etc. Even a little bit of counter space is a lot better than a pedestal sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I believe that the bathroom has to have a tub in addition to a sink and stool to be considered a "Full bath" and if it has only a shower, sink and stool, it would be considered a "3/4" bath.
Interesting, good to know, home value not a serious issue.

Never seen one of these in practice, didn't think they were that popular. One thing that's confused me is toilet stalls, who wants that?

http://ondeck.biz/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2.jpg
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

I have people wanting a water closet for their toilets quite often, guess they want their privacy.

looking at your link on post #5 I'm wondering from the glass doors and tile if there is a shower in there also ..... have seen it done (I wouldn't though) tough to keep the TP dry .....

I've done a whirlpool tub with a shower in front of it for a couple that wanted a Master Bath in a small space. We tiled the platform and shower area so they had a 3' x 6' shower in front of the platform and separated it from the rest of the bath with tempered glass door & panel.

Big-foot is correct about resale value .... but its yours now!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
looking at your link on post #5 I'm wondering from the glass doors and tile if there is a shower in there also ..... have seen it done (I wouldn't though) tough to keep the TP dry .....
TP? I'll probably have a nice Toto toilet and one of these to fit it by the time I'm done.

I've used one and a half rolls of toilet paper in the past 5 years.

Last edited by bluefoxicy; 11-07-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

not familiar with that product, I have done many baths with bidets however .... don't know I could handle that though

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Before you commit to the shower in your original post, I would do my best to see one firsthand. I've seen similar units displayed in big box stores and they look cheap and flimsy and plastic to me.
Then picture yourself showering in there with elbows out shampooing your hair. It may be a snug fit for a large person.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

I did what you're contemplating in a house I used to own. But I didn't buy from Home Depot - my wife found a unit she liked on the internet, and drove 3 hours to Philadelphia to pick it up. Damn thing cost almost $1500. Real clear glass doors. But you REALLY DO NOT want a shower like that. It was such a PITA that we almost never used it. We pretty much had to completely clean it after each use. And no matter where you put the shower head, when you reach in to turn the shower on, you'll be drenched. Our daughter now owns that house, and she hardly uses the thing either.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Remodeling a bath with a truly deluxe shower and no tub is very popular---as long as there is one tub somewhere in the house---I don't think it devalues a home----

I build a lot of showers that replace old tubs----
In highend baths I did for people elaborate jacuzzi tubs were still popular if there was room but many opted for elaborate doorless showers if there was room and things like adaptations of the Kohler Habitat fixtures where you can dial in a Sahara sauna setting or tropical rain forest environment. Others liked multiples jets on opposing walls. So much for water conservation in a state rapidly running out of fresh water, I guess.

Most of my work was on antique homes so doorless showers could be blended in in ways that contemporary tubs could not. Of course more than a few clients had me get clawfoot tubs for the guest bath refinished.

I personally cannot see giving up 30,000sf to a bathroom no matter how many fluffy towels it might hold. And I did nearly kill neices and nephews who found showers a great personal heating source. "You keep your house no warmer than 68 except by the fireplaces! What do you expect us to do! Put on a sweater or something stupid like that!" "Well yes, maybe! Standing naked under a hot shower for hours is not working for me!"

And of course what every bath needs, in addition to plumbing problems hiding behind walls or under floors, is complex electronics to control them. The American Club, in Kohler, WI is not far from me so I will go there if I ever need complicated bathroom environments. Kohler showcases its stuff in the rooms if you ever want to see the latest or if you want to watch a porcelain toilet being fired in a kiln. It has grown in stature and reputation since I first visitied but if Wisconsin is topping your list of either hot vacation spots or your bucket list because you love cheese? It is a pleasant experience. I took someone I loved dearly once to convince her to stay in the Midwest. It wasn't enough to swing the deal.

I grew up with bathtubs that had shower heads and baths were the thing. And I guess I would have missed all my bathtub toys and soaking and splashing around until I had the skin of a wrinkled prune. At 58 I am now pre-wrinkled prune looking just walking around so last thing I am going to do is soak in a tub. But showers are the way we get clean these days. I am not sure when the shift happened.

As for tiny little enclosures like the OP shows in the link? I am not especially claustrophobic but bumping knees and elbows on an enclosure so small like that can cause me to develop a somewhat snarly mood even though I am a morning person.

The population does age so for maximum resale value of your home, plan safety handles into your new bath design, for showers or tubs, from the start so they do not look like tacky add-ons. And install them properly and anchored through the tile to the framing please! None of this nonsense I have encountered with the end brackets secured in the tile and plastic screw anchors! Nicely designed safety handles are not a bad idea for the most agile by the way. Old folks take the injuries worse than others but are not the only ones to slip on slimey tub or shower bottoms!

Last edited by user1007; 11-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #12

As others said I don't think there's anything wrong w/ replacing a tub w/ a shower stall as long as you have a tub in one of the main bathrooms. Washing a baby/kid I'd imagine would be much easier in a tub than a shower stall, which is why there's usually a tub in the non-master bathroom. Many homes don't have tubs in master bathrooms (usually due to space), so I wouldn't think replacing an existing tub with a shower would necessarily be a bad thing. I'm personally not a big fan of those prebuilt shower stalls because #1 many tend to be a bit smallish and #2 they tend to feel very cheap. Building a shower pan and tiling a shower is quite a bit more work and cost (obviously), but they look nice.

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote