Bath/shower Remodel? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bath/shower remodel?

I'm new to this kind of forum so patience, please. Firstly, I am, for the most part, NOT a DIY guy in terms of remodeling. I am a senior citizen and don't do much work any more.

We have a 12 yr old Mfg home. I have an acrylic shower stall that is beginning to mold, discolor and a small crack has appeared at the base.

Researching outfits like ReBath, Bath Crest, Bathfitting (the national chains) has turned up some horror stories. Are they as bad as the many complaints seem to indicate or is it just a numbers game?

Am I better off refinishing? May not be able to get away with a refinish as my wife would like to see a bathtub in there.

How do I know what a fair price would be?

Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement

ramblemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

bath/shower remodel?

A fair price has little to do with the price itself.

It has to do with the company giving you the price. A low price might seem like a fair price as long as you don't mind that the company doing the work is hiring illegals, has no insurance, might run off with your down payment or walk out half way through the job or cut corners that won't show up until 18 months from now. A price might seem high to you if the company is legitimate, has insurance and licenses, does quality work and stands behind it with a warranty and charges a price that it takes to accomplish this.

So research the company. A legitimate company will not be the lowest price. Constrcuction is not a commodity like buying gasoline from the gas station across the street because it is 1 cent cheaper. Homeowners rarely pay too much when hiring a legitimate company, even though the price will be higher. Nothing is more expensive then doing something twice.

Those companies you mentioned are all franchises, usually run by somebody with no construction experience. They sell those franchises by selling the ability to run them with no construction experience. They as you know cover things up, they do not remodel.

Advertisement

Mike Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

bath/shower remodel?

About what I thought. Now the question is, how does one go about finding a good company? Seems very difficult nowadays to find a contractor. Must be some out there, but apparently not enough.
ramblemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #4

bath/shower remodel?

Maybe start with BBB listings, NKBA listings...

Review top 10 questions to ask every contractor

Review top 10 mistakes consumers make hiring a contractor
Mike Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #5

bath/shower remodel?

First, I would ask friends and coworkers if they have had similar work done and who they hired. Call those contractors up and have them give you estimates. Ask them all the same important questions. Note which ones take measurements and ask question and give you a detailed quote. Ask how long the work will take, how many subcontractors will be hired, etc. In the final contract, put a clause in that says "the work will be completed by (date) and 20% will be deducted for every week thereafter".
Good luck,
professorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

bath/shower remodel?

References from friends, neighbors or family are always a good way to go, and contractors love when people give referrals. Many good contractors don't advertise, and don't need to, because they get so many referrals.

If you can't find any through referrals, check your local chapter of the National Association of Home Builders or your local chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry ( www.NARI.com ).

Advertisement

Last edited by Jeeper1970; 12-03-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote