Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Bath remodel questions

Okay so my wife decided to start pulling down wallpaper in the full bath in our house. And came across mold and wet drywall within a foot of the shower. So my questions are 1. What is the cheapest way to fix this issue. 2. If I decide to pull the tub and tile around it ( its shallow and my wife doesn't like it any way) will I have to up date the waste line?

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,256

Bath remodel questions

There is no cheap way to fix it. I would suggest taping up what you have torn open with heavy mil plastic, and contact your home owner's insurance company if you own. If you rent, too late now, due to the landlord would charge you damages.

Your HOI will work with the proper companies to get rid of the mold, so that you can finish gutting it. Problem with moisture, is that not only do you get mold, but you also get wood rot of the flooring, studs & plates.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

Bath remodel questions

Post some pics of the damage. What kind if pipes do you have? Supply and waste.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Bath remodel questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman88 View Post
Okay so my wife decided to start pulling down wallpaper in the full bath in our house. And came across mold and wet drywall within a foot of the shower. So my questions are 1. What is the cheapest way to fix this issue. 2. If I decide to pull the tub and tile around it ( its shallow and my wife doesn't like it any way) will I have to up date the waste line?
Rip out the drywall. Behind tile you need a waterproof system. Tile is not waterproof and too many people assume it is. Moisture will get behind tiles. Sheet rock showers are bad.

Rip out the junk. Put up mold resistant sheet rock outside the tub/shower. Use a waterproofing system inside the shower. There are a few options and they all work if done correctly.
Kerdi membrane over mold resistant drywall.
Kerdi board (pricy buy easy install because it is lightweight and easy to cut)
Hardie backer board
Cement board over waterproof house wrap membrane
Various liquid roll/paint on rubber or acrylic membrane products over suitable base as specified by the product manufacturer.

All work but ease of install and availability at supplier of choice may narrow down the options.

If you replace the tub you may keep the existing drain position. A new fitting may be needed but if new tub is going to fit in the existing spot and through the doors it will be a very minor detail.
QueBall is offline   Reply With Quote